New to headphones: Westone UM1's... WOW
Jul 6, 2007 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rumatt

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought my first set of headphones: Westone UM1's. I bought them to use on plane rides, but I've been listening to them all night with an ipod shuffle and I'm amazed.

I've got several thousand dollars into my speaker setup (Paradigm studio 60v2 speakers, Paradisea DAC, Outlaw audio amp, etc...) and yet I'm enjoying this silly pair of $100 head phones significantly more than the speaker setup.
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

Maybe I'm just a headphone kind of guy. I've never been happy with the speaker setup. I've had many dac's, amps, fiddled with room setup, etc. But with these headphones I'm just relaxing and enjoying the music. Is this the headphone phenomenon?

Dammit, now I'm tempted to go buy some fancy headphones, an headphone amp...
basshead.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What have you been posting about 200 times in the last year if you're not a headphone guy?

Well he said he has about several thousand dollars in his speaker setup.

I think that's pretty good.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well he said he has about several thousand dollars in his speaker setup.

Well, I guess it's closer to 2K, but still. I just spent $100 and I'm happier.
blink.gif

Is this common around here? You try headphones and you're hooked? There's something about how the sounds is so full and encompassing without being loud or harsh.

I'm also starting to think I need to try some new speakers. I tried multiple versions of every component except the speakers.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 14
Well, I like headphones because they're cheap, portable, and (for me) don't require quite the amount of fiddling that speakers do.

No doubt that there are some absolutely jaw-dropping speakers out there that will outpace your Westones, but as I'm sure you know, they're going to cost slightly more than $100.

I like the analogy that headphones are to speakers what motorcycles are to cars - for the price of an Accord, you can get a pretty amazing crotch-rocket.
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly really disliked the UM1, grab the UM2 if you like those ones...

fwiw i prefer the UM1 to the UM2...but congrats on a good purchase.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I guess it's closer to 2K, but still. I just spent $100 and I'm happier.
blink.gif

Is this common around here? You try headphones and you're hooked? There's something about how the sounds is so full and encompassing without being loud or harsh.

I'm also starting to think I need to try some new speakers. I tried multiple versions of every component except the speakers.

There are a few things headphones do well that is very difficult with speakers. Headphones are designed to sit on your head, which is somewhat predictable. Speakers are designed to sit in your room, which is extremely variable. there's a common denominator to headphones that's very nice when you have a limited speaker setup. I still use my speakers more, but I "listen" to headphones more. It's a very personal experience, which is nice for music.

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 14
Wait till you get higher end IEMs or full size cans. I personally did not like the UM1s much at all.

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 14
Before anything else, you might want to try an amp with those UM1s. It affects the sound surprisingly much. The amp section is full of potential alternatives and if money is no issue, Tomahawk might make you an even happier man
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 14
Was happy with my UM1 for mths, till I tried my fren's UM2.. now worst still, I got myself a MS2i, found tat my UM1 is much to veil.. boring X=

but great for commuting though. comfy and well isolated.

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 14
Rumatt...I fell off the UM1 bandwagon rather quickly (too veiled, blunted for my taste). And you, my friend, are just scratching the surface. For another, oh, $30, you can get a pair of Atrio M5s, which to my ears blow away the UM1s. Then, pick up a pair of RP-21s for your closed pair, and a set of SR-80s or MS1s for your open pair. Then, you need a nice pair of canal phones. Might I suggest the X3s? All those phones are budget priced but deliver some great SQ.

You can see where this is going. Just look over my "gone" list and you will see what I mean. And I have a great home audio setup (within reason), including PSB speakers all around in my home theater.

Yes, headphones open up a whole new world of music. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back