New to headphones.. now addicted.
Dec 30, 2009 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hordsak

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I recently got some Sennheiser 595 headphones, and I'm really enjoying them more than I ever thought I would. Now my wallet is going to pay I assume =)

I'm mainly listening to music from my PC, flac files. I'm using a berhinger HA400 headphone amp. I would like to upgrade to a tube amp, and get a DAC down the road.

I've found a guy in my city that hand makes tube amps. How are DIY tube amps? I can get one for the 200 dollar range. I don't know if I'm allowed to link them here, but here is a link to some of his adds.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...497191929.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...495056427.html

I would make sure it has a headphone jack, instead of speaker connections.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 7
It looks like its a speaker amp. It does look nice. Most headphone outputs on speaker amps arent that good though.
My guess is your better of with a dedicated headphone amp. What are you using as source? Soundcard, onboard sound? upgrading the source with a dac is the best options imho.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 7
It does look like a speaker amp, but there is no output spec to conclude what kinda speaker it can drive and such.

If he's diy, I am sure you can ask him to build headphone amps. THere are a lot of great public diy schematics around that you can pick up. Not sure what he will charge for it though.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 7
DIY builds are often a good choice (for price/quality etc) but what you are looking at is a speaker design. There are tons of tube amps to choose from but I am sure that DIYer near you can build you something as well.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Looks classy.. Wonder if he can specify more details..

With DIY as this, you are on your own. There is hardly no reviews of it since it's not readily available as a commercial product.

But then, you might have found the gem with low cost. Who knows.. You'll have to try it out yourself.

Do you have other amps to compare against? Without a decent amp, you'd have no reference to make a comparison.

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 7
It would be compared against a Behringer HA400, so it can be pretty much guaranteed that it will be better than what I'm currently using. But as for comparison of anything else, no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back