New to headphones - need recommendations!
Dec 10, 2008 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ultimo

New Head-Fier
I've always just used the earphones that come with whatever cd/walkman/mp3 etc I had. Need a comfortable pair of headphones - the earphones are killing me nowadays. I listen to a wide arrange of music so not something that's better in one genre but worse in another. Something affordable, looking to spend maybe $50 or so. I live in Canada so I don't know what options are available locally. So if it comes down to it please recommend a place where I can find the headphones, even if it's ebay
biggrin.gif

I think that's about it. Something without an amp - wouldn't know where to get one and don't want to spend that much more. Finally maybe closed headphones.

Wow that's a lot more than I thought, short version:
- Around $50
- Comfortable
- Good for all genres of music
- Please link online for purchase available to Canada
- No amp
- Closed headphones

Thanks very much!

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 17
Do you want the earpad to rest on the ear or around the ear? Do you mind using a canal-phone, where the headphone rests in the ear canal? Are these just for home use, or will you be using them in a noisy environment?

That should help us.

Nylan

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 17
Hard to find good closed cans for 50 bucks. I usually recommend Grado SR-60's for those on a budget (about 69 bucks US). These open cans are a giant killer and I still get a kick out of listening to mine. Check out Headroom and see what they recommend. Headroom- a yearning for learning.

Good luck on your search.

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 17
Ah never heard of canalphones before..Looked them up and no, not what i'm looking for. Ones that rest on the ear. Also will be used in both quiet and loud enivironments

I don't think closed/open is too big of a deal, comfort is more important
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 17
Beyerdynamic DT-440s $51.93 List $189@Amazon.com. Best Deal Around by far IMO. Thinking of getting one myself just because of the price. Gets good marks here at Head-Fi, Beyers are known for their excellent bass response & detail. These look very comfortable as well w/the velour earpads. Definitely can't get better sound & features for the price. $200 HP for $50
beyersmile.png

Good Luck & Happy Holidays
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Dec 15, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not yet available from Amazon and likely over budget to Canada.

My bad. Didn't realise that it is on pre-order.

Have no idea how much shipping for Amazon is to Canada, but I always assume a person's budget is just a guideline...
redface.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 17
Sennheiser HD202's 20-30 usd almost everywhere. I bought a five pack on Amazon for 85.00 US just to give them away and for the kids to trash. But they are availl. many other places.
Small, light, closed H/P's . Depending on how big your ears are, they will sit upon your ears or around them.
If you do alot of portable listening out in crowded areas, stay away from "Open". the sound from outside the H/P's will really piss you off.
If your coming from earbuds, these will rock you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back