New to headphones, but I'd like to get a good one, Proline 750 and alternatives - any ideas?
Mar 28, 2008 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MattDUrben

New Head-Fier
Hi,

at the moment I do use my Sennheiser Headset 161 app. 10hrs a day. So far I'm pretty happy with it, but as my wife is in the same room and as she watches tv (low/medium volume) I noticed that the tv sound is a little bit annoying. I like the sound of the 161 - my 2.1 speaker system sounds like crap compared to them.

Well, now I'd like to buy some good headphones and did some research. It looks like I should get 'closed' ones to eliminate the sidetones (tv).
I found the Ultrasone PROLine 750, closed headphones, and read good things about them.
But there are still half-closed (or half-open?) ones. As well as other closed ones.

I'd like to get some helpful tipps about getting the "right ones" for me.

What is important for me:
1. wearing comfort (8hrs a day),
2. sound (music [ambiance, electronic, rock] as well as games),
3. eliminating sidetones as good as possible,
4. Price: max $400 (260€)

The headphones will be connected to my creative X-Fi

(I know the Sennheiser 161 is a headset and I'm going to buy a mike seperately.)

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 12
I think you already found the winner. The Proline 750 is a great closed phone and will work without an amped setup just fine. I find them plenty comfortable (they are certainly not as comfortable as a set of beyerdynamic cans), and they eliminate enough outside noise too, that should be alright.

(p.s. northern sound & light online has the best price for the Proline 750, give them a call or set up an account with them and I think they end up being $279)

Another can to look at is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. They're slightly cheaper than the Ultrasones, and probably don't sound as good, but they are more comfortable and they are better built (in my opinion).

Mar 29, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks a lot for the fast answers! I think I'll go for the PROline 750.

As you mentioned headphone amplifiers.... and that the 750 will work without an ampd setup.

Some ppl do use their headphones with an amp. If you use an amp, do you connect the amp directly to the soundcard? I noticed that the cantate has an usb port and in the manual is written that, if connected to pc, you shoud use usb to amp instead of soundcard to amp. Why that?

Cheers,
Matt

Mar 29, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattDUrben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot for the fast answers! I think I'll go for the PROline 750.

As you mentioned headphone amplifiers.... and that the 750 will work without an ampd setup.

Some ppl do use their headphones with an amp. If you use an amp, do you connect the amp directly to the soundcard? I noticed that the cantate has an usb port and in the manual is written that, if connected to pc, you shoud use usb to amp instead of soundcard to amp. Why that?

Cheers,
Matt

If you use an amp, it's usually mini-jack from soundcard-> mini to RCA interconnects -> amp

Cantate has built-in usb DAC (digital to analog converter) and soundcard has their own DAC as well. By using USB instead of audio out from soundcard, you bypass the DAC in soundcard and DAC in cantate doubles as both DAC and amp. This way, you get better sound quality as DAC in cantate is better than DAC in soundcards.

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks a lot! Very much to learn here
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought the X-Fi because it got very good reviews but I guess it is something totally different when using a pro headphone with an amp.

As the Corda's are expensive (well they will be worth the money) can you recommend cheaper, but still good amps to use with the 750's?

Thanks a lot,
Matt

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 12
Just to note, with the X-fi, the DT770's are awesome. We have the exact same setup and they are amazing for whatever that is worth.

The are built to last as well.

Sound is GREAT! Comfort is getting better each day as I break them in. It's hard to compare them to my Senn 280's because they were so molded to my ears I'd wear them and forget I was even wearing them. The DT770's are lighter though so in time I already know I'm gonna have alot of fun with them. I feel they have much better seperation of sound and of course much better low end.
The bass is not muddy with the x-fi. You don't even have to go 50% volume with wave out at 90 in all modes. Audio mode however will probably give you the most volume from the Asio drivers. I've always noticed that Audio Mode is really loud compared to Game/Theater modes. I usually only use it in making music/composing though but it really works in all applications, perhaps except gaming.

The Ultrasones have the lead in looks though.... I'll give them that. I have not heard them, nor tried any on, so I'm at a loss to help on that.

By the way, what type of Driver and magnet type is in the DT770? Anyone know?

40mm or 50mm??

If you look in the Beyerdynamic fan thread you'll see how some people, including myself love the DT770's and feel they are much better than the price suggests, which still isn't all that cheap. I've seen them for as much as $230 new down the $158 shipped...which I paid gladly. (Audio-topia) on ebay. A well trusted seller in my book. It even came double boxed, couldnt' believe it.

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 12
Before you buy proline 750s, PLEASE try them. I have tried several amps and modding with 750s, but I can't stand their SQ (notorious hollow mids)... to my ears, of course, there are many people who like them, though.
I'd vote to DT770s (also the seal is better with DT770s).

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 12
Ok, it looks like I've to decide between the PROline 750 and the Audio Technica ATH-A900ti. Unfortunately I coudn't find very much information about the ATH-A900ti - looks like they're not sold that often as I found only 2 shops selling them. I found that there's a 2008 version of the ATH-A900ti, they used better materials.

Well, choosing between PROline 750 and ATH-A900ti, which one would you go for? Decisions, decisions, .....

(I've the DT770 still on my mind, but a little bit behind the ones mentioned above.)

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 12
Finally:

I'm a proud owner of some Audio Technica ATH-900ti and a Corta Cantate
smily_headphones1.gif

So far I'm very happy with them, but unfortunately I got an inflammation of the middle ear and I can't use the new headphones very much...
frown.gif

Can't wait to get rip of the inflammation
wink.gif

Cheers,
Matt

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Sorry to hear you have to deal with an ear infection when your new setup came in! Be patient (no new headphone is worth the risk of permanent hearing damage), and let us know what you think. I kinda want to try out the A900ti, they seem like an unsung contender in this category.

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 12
I have the 750 prolines and am, I must say, terribly happy with it. But I agree with one of the comments here, do try it before you buy it since the sound signature for them are very unique. Mostly due to their S-Logic system.

I didn't try it before buying, but I read loads, and the reason I bought it in the first place was to jostle my music, to listen to it 'differently' and that's what I got.

I must tell you - in my opinion, I don't believe the mids on the 750s to be hollow, instead, its neutral - it shows the recording for what it is, and at times, mercilessly. So if you hear lossless files, that were recorded well, it will sound great. Otherwise, it can disappoint - Ultrasones are 'honest' that way.

Looks wise, I must say they look beautiful (the new metal faceplate ones that is), although they could have reduced the amount of plastic used.

Also, they can be easily driven by the X-Fi soundcard - heck, even the iPod does a good job driving them. But they certainly improve considerably by an amp. I myself am going to get a tube amp for mine, but I've heard one Headfier here say that the Corda goes wonderfully with the Ultrasones. The Cantate would be ideal (since you're using your computer as the input, and using its DAC would benefit it well), but if you can, try auditioning the Arietta.

I wish you luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back