new to headphones and what I got
Sep 15, 2005 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Xaphan

New Head-Fier
Hey all seems like an awesome place here. I just got my first set of headphones today . I am kind of getting away from my 5.1 surround sound set up for gaming on the PC. I just cant play at the volume I like to play at and not wake up the wife and kids. I always though headphones were crap till I found this place.

What I got was Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's.

Just wandering how I did with my first purchase?
Also do you reccomend I unplug my 5.1 setup and plug them directly into my Audigy 2 or just plug them into the speaker control panel?
Also is it a good idea to burn these in first or just start using them and let them burn in on there own?

Thanks guys,
Tommy

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaphan
I just cant play at the volume I like to play at and not wake up the wife and kids. I always though headphones were crap till I found this place.

What I got was Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's.

Just wandering how I did with my first purchase?

Tommy

Honestly? You tell us. I can't comment on the HD280 since I have never heard them. Listening is subjective. These might sound great to you depending on your personal preferences or you might find them lacking in one area or another. If you haven't searched the forums yet you should give that a shot and I'm sure you'll find several threads with comments on the strengths and weaknesses of these cans.

Be aware this is a very addicting hobby. If your happy with the HD280 leave here now and never come back. If you hang around this forum chances are 6 months from now you might be listening to those and 4 other sets while trying to decide which ones to buy next.

Welcome to Head-Fi sorry about your wallet!
600smile.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 12
thanks for the welcome Dobsonly. I have had the addiction to good sounding stuff for about 20 years. Started back when I got my first sound system.

For some reason I always thought oh headphones as the cheap and easy way out. As far as compairing these to anything else I have had headphone wise there leaps and bounds better. I know there is alot better out there than these but these fit the price range right now and I needed something. So far they sound pretty decent to me.

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 12
2nd Warning!
Yep, I went through a bunch of money buying decent stereo equipment many years ago. It gets limited use as the wife and kids don't care that much about sitting and listening to some good music.

Then I plugged some cheap earbuds into my daughters CD player one day and thought wow, this isn't bad. I wonder what else is out there? I've been here since the end of last year and just ordered my 6th set of cans, new HF-1,
icon10.gif
and built 2 small amps and own a DAP to play my music were ever I go. You see there is no end to the search for improved Bass, Better Highs, Fuller sound, Better Sound stage, more transparency, Hmmmmmmmm, I'm ate up Hurry leave here!!

Congrats on your purchase and good luck!

Sep 16, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 12
IMHO you did pretty good. those cans isolate very well and IMHO are decently comfey. Fairly easy to drive. I have posted negative comments on them in other threads... but refrain from doing that here since my oppinions are strictly an oppinion.

I tell you one thing if youre after isolation youve got the most for that price range. those isolate much more than my MDRV6, MDRCD770, MDRCD870, DT770.

Enjoy them...

Garrett

Sep 16, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks Kramer, If you dont mind I would like to know what you dont like about them just so that I know what to look out for and what not, and what to avoid if I decide to get others down the road.

Isolation was one of the main features I was looking for as the PC is in a room where there is usually a TV or radio going.

But I was also looking for fairly decent sound quality and what not and something that wouldnt require amping.

Thanks

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 12
When people first join this site they never want to get and amp (I understand why). This leads them to buy many “cheap” headphones that end up costing more than a single good pair. I would say buy the best cans you can and get and amp down the road. Most computers have plenty of power and will drive almost anything. IMO there output signal is not that clean but it will work until you can get an amp. Anyway if you have never used anything better you will love you cans unamped.......ignorance is bliss.

As for headphone recommendations I can not recommend anything because I have never used a good closed headphone (only cheep ones). But there are tons of good open headphones to choose from. Could you live with open headphones?

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 12
i tried the hd280 after getting the sr80 (my initial foray into headphones). i hated the hd280 because they weren't as fun as the sr80. dry, uneventful. but they're accurate and great for monitoring and isolate well...comfy, too. so, it all depends on what you like. i think you'll really like the hf-1.

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaphan
Thanks Kramer, If you dont mind I would like to know what you dont like about them just so that I know what to look out for and what not, and what to avoid if I decide to get others down the road.

Isolation was one of the main features I was looking for as the PC is in a room where there is usually a TV or radio going.

But I was also looking for fairly decent sound quality and what not and something that wouldnt require amping.

Thanks

you know what.... Im going to refrain here, because my oppinions are biased towards some very colored (borderline inaccurate) cans. I adore my MS2... It takes guitar tones and makes them sound like youre sitting in an isolation booth in the studio, on axis to the cabinet... Thats how I like it, most others find it harsh and piercing. But I can tell you... THATS how many guitar/amps sound when pushed to EL34 overdrive.

Just spend some time getting to know them listen to all kinds of music from various sources. Let YOUR ears guide you. Then when you want to upgrade... get out and demo everything you can.

Garrett

Sep 16, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63
When people first join this site they never want to get and amp (I understand why). This leads them to buy many “cheap” headphones that end up costing more than a single good pair. I would say buy the best cans you can and get and amp down the road.

For use portaphiles, they "cheap" headphones are the bomb. Who would want to carry around a DAP, DAC, AMP, and fullsize headphones?

However, if I were to start again and go for an entry level full size can, I'd go for the HD555. Yet, they would only be used at home. To big to tote around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back