New to headphone scene, ready for a nicer setup.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

WardrumMastodon

Head-Fier
Hey guys,gals!

Start out by saying hello from Minnesota! Its chilly! :) 

Currently have a pair of m50x' which are hooked into a headphone out on my computer speakers. 

Looking into moving into something nicer. 

With my current setup I really need to crank up the volume to get anything out of my m50x's after which they start to sound distorted. It's clear I need a better setup. 

Listen to all types of music. Mostly listen to metal, techno, rock, instrumental and I do a lot of gaming. 

What can you recommend for a nice setup? Amp/DAC, headphones. 

Id like it to be around 4-5 hundred for everything

Any help is welcome. 

Apologize in advance as I am typing this after a long shift and I am totally beat. 

Thanks

WDM. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 29
Some of my favorites in your price range are the STAX SR-207, Yamaha HPH-MT220, HIFIMAN HE400i, and Focal Spirit Professional. If you want the best sound quality, I would recommend looking for an SR-207 and electrostatic amp (along with a voltage transformer or modified power supply if the amp was imported from Japan) on the used market. Alternately, a brand new system is available here for around $460, including shipping. If you don't want an electrostatic system, you still don't need to spend much on your amp. A few affordable amps I've owned include the Pyle PHA40, FiiO E6, Schiit Fulla, and Schiit Magni 2 Uber, ranging from under $20 to $149. In some cases (for example, my laptop sounds just as good as a $99 Schiit Modi 2 DAC), you don't need a DAC, and can instead simply connect your computer to your amp via a 3.5mm to RCA cable like this one.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 29
  Shows you how out of the game I am as I have even heard of any of those brands other then Yamaha. 

I see a lot of people recommended the HD650 and the X2s. 

Any thoughts on those? 

I've owned the HD 650. Good headphone, but it's on the warm, dark, smooth, side. Not the best choice if you want accuracy. I haven't heard the X2, but know it's a bassy headphone.

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 29
Good to know, I actually returned my m50x for a full refund today. They just didnt blow me away as I was hoping. I had them the full 30 days but maybe I set my hopes too high?

I have a set of HD 558s and I actually liked those better. They didnt give me the bass I wanted but I liked the clarity. Not so good for gaming or movies really but overall I didnt think they were too bad. Definitely comfortable. 

I got recommended the m50x's and at first I really enjoyed the bass but as I mentioned any sort of higher volume listening and they get very distorted and start to crackle. Defective maybe?

I didnt have the problems with comfort as some people mentioned. 

I would really like some more people to chime in and give their opinions of what kind of cans I might like. 

The biggest problem is I dont really know what I want or what I am looking for. 

I love all music. It goes in waves of different genres but I alsoI love to game and I love to feel the booms. 

Maybe you guys can recommend two different headphones? One for gaming and bass and one for music? I have no idea.. really just trying to get the most for my dollar.

Thanks guys/gals.

WDM

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 29
For bass impact:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

For best sound quality:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-open
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

(Or look into the ones I mentioned.)

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 29
  Appreciate that. Lots of reading there. I wish there was some place around town I could go to listen to some headphones and get an idea what I might like. 

Not sure where you live, but there are Head-Fi meets all over the world:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/24/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers

In the future, it could be worthwhile to travel to meets (as well as shops) to audition all sorts of headphones.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 29

Listen to all types of music. Mostly listen to metal, techno, rock, instrumental and I do a lot of gaming. 

I'll give it a try.  $500 budget.  Gamer, right?

1.  Creative G5 or E5 depending on your needs - $150 with coupon "BLASTG5"
2.  Philips X2 - $300
3.  VModa BoomPro Mic - $30

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 29
I have a set of HD 558s and I actually liked those better. They didnt give me the bass I wanted but I liked the clarity. Not so good for gaming or movies really but overall I didnt think they were too bad. Definitely comfortable. 

I got recommended the m50x's and at first I really enjoyed the bass but as I mentioned any sort of higher volume listening and they get very distorted and start to crackle. Defective maybe?

Sounds quite possible that your gear you are driving them with is causing the distortion. What is your equipment? Are you using EQ to boost the bass?

Given your budget is $400 to $500, I would suggest a Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 amp/dac stack. That will drive the very large majority of headphones you might find.

Definitely should look into the Philips X2 if you like bass.

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 29
Sounds quite possible that your gear you are driving them with is causing the distortion. What is your equipment? Are you using EQ to boost the bass?

Given your budget is $400 to $500, I would suggest a Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 amp/dac stack. That will drive the very large majority of headphones you might find.

Definitely should look into the Philips X2 if you like bass.

I do love bass but I also like to hear the details. I hear those X2's benefit from a amp/dac despite being lower impedance. Very close to getting the cans. 

As far as the m50x setup I was just directly hooking up my headphones into my "headphones out" on my speakers and also I use them on my laptop and phone. All three cause distortion and crackling at higher volumes. No boosted anything. 

Thanks for you feedback. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 29
I do love bass but I also like to hear the details. I hear those X2's benefit from a amp/dac despite being lower impedance. Very close to getting the cans. 

As far as the m50x setup I was just directly hooking up my headphones into my "headphones out" on my speakers and also I use them on my laptop and phone. All three cause distortion and crackling at higher volumes. No boosted anything. 

Thanks for you feedback. 

Could definitely be your equipment isn't quite powerful enough to drive them for your listening volumes and the type of source material. Hard to know for sure.

My experience is with the X1, and it does benefit from an amp compared to some portable devices if you like to crank things up a lot. If you like to use your headphones with laptop and phone on the go, a Fiio E12 would work every well: http://www.amazon.com/E12-Blanc-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00B6QXWIY/. Then you could add a DAC later to use with your computer, if you like.

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 29
  I may do just that. 

How do you think the FiiO E10K compares? 

FiiO can work well too.   I have only heard one FiiO about 2 years ago so I wouldn't be the right person to comment on them.  The Creative E5 and G5 have better specs than the E10K.  They have virtual surround and mic input which can be nice for a gamer.

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 29
IMO the ifi idac 2 $350, and a pair of fostex t50rp mkii $130 would suit you well and should keep you within budget. The idac2 has a class A amp section that will drive pretty much any headphone out there, and the dac (burr brown) section is superb, sounds well beyond its price point. You also get very well implemented 3D and xbass settings to play around with to suit your tastes.  The t50rp mkii's sound great with rock and electronic music, and can be found for dirt cheap, especially after the recent release of the mkiii's.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back