New to Head-Fi
Jul 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

slash

New Head-Fier
Well, I surfed here in 08 for ideas and now find myself ready to take the plunge.

Background, started listening to my iPod via supplied Apple headphones.  The source was mainly podcasts and some music from CD into 320.  I love listening to podcasts while walking and when podcasts are all used up music, all types, the music library is diverse.

I have come here because I do not know anyone who listens like I do or cares to, so my upgrade resource path is limited to those selling stuff.  I don't care to be limited to a product vertical recommendation and really want a global option or option path to consider.

My source equipment is a Late 2012 MacBook Pro with iTunes 11 loaded predominately with CD utilizing Apple Lossless.  I also have a 5th G iPod Classic 80Gb and a 6th G iPod Classic 160Gb, both with 192 files due to too much content.  The MacBook Pro HD 500Gb 5400 rpm is almost full of music files with a 1Tb backup.  When walking the dog I use an iPhone 4 with supplied headphones and 256 files.  I will not be changing the Apple Lossless file type unless it can be seamlessly converted, digitally from current HD.

So, my current needs are a 1Tb upgrade to store future music, I currently only have 68Gb remaining on the Apple HD.  Leaning toward a HGST 1Tb 7200 rpm upgrade.

Next steps are a mobil/home set up, this is where I hope to gain the most ideas.

I am thinking of In Ear Monitors and if I were to pull the trigger today it would be UE Reference Monitors.  I believe I will be able to listen at lower volume levels than I currently am able to while outdoors.  I am interested to learn other In Ear Options.

Thinking of Apple TV to steam music digitally to my home system that is not critical listening.  From here on this is where I am really hoping to gain some insight to equipment options.  While I do enjoy my iStuff I do recognize there is a whole other world out there that can provide higher level listening options so iTunes & iPod are all potentially replaced.

I look forward to your ideas and experiences.

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi Slash and welcome!

I was reading your message and realized that you would like to upgrade your MacBook Pro HDD. I might have a suggestion there for you. As you know new Macs are now shipping with fusion drive. It is also possible to have your own Fusion Drive by removing the optical drive (you can still use it as an external optical drive) and putting another HDD there. You can use both a spinning disk or an SSD there. Computer uses both physical discs as one disc so it is pretty great. If you are using two different spinning disc you dont even need to unify them as a fusion drive. You can simply use two discs. Anyway let me know if you are interested so I will take my time to give further info.

Also instead of Apple TV you can also use Airport Express. Just saying :)

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your response reeshahn.

Correct, first step is an HD upgrade.  I believe 1Tb is plenty and I do like the convenience of an optical drive.

Once I have enough space for future music my focus will be a mobil/home headphone system that will use an in ear monitor design.  I like iTunes but open to other platforms that are as or more functional and can absorb Apple Lossless.

I mention Apple TV only for the ability to stream wirelessly to plasma tv and stream iTunes to a home system and possibly using it to watch some video content.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back