New to Head-Fi
Apr 4, 2010 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Artie17

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everybody I joined head-fi during the summer but I just spend my time looking around and reading up as much info I could get my hands on. That Summer I bought my first nice pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD555) which is probably considered a low end model compared to the types of headphones other people are using on the forums.

I'm looking for some tips on upgrading my current headphones set up and also I need some help picking a pair headphones for strictly watching blurays on my computer and my ps3. What would be the next best pair I could get as an upgrade from my current headphones, the main use would be for listening to music (Hip Hop, Rock, Jazz, and Classical) and gaming and I would like to spend anywhere in the $150-250 range.

The other pair of headphones I need are strictly for watching movies and it doesn't matter if they're open or closed. I'm looking to spend about $150 max but I would like to keep it below that.

So please send some recommendations my way, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 21
I would think that the d2000 would do pretty good in all the above mentioned areas. They are easily driven from a computer or anything else you want to plug them into.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think that the d2000 would do pretty good in all the above mentioned areas. They are easily driven from a computer or anything else you want to plug them into.

x2.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 21
For Blu-Ray and gaming I'd look into a Dolby Headphone processor like a SU-DH1 or Astro Mixamp, or a home receiver that does DH or silent cinema. With movies it's questionable, with gaming I find processing really useful.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 21
I'd probably get the Denon - it was great with gaming and movies.

tongue.gif

PS: I recommend you leave now before you end up like joomongi.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 21
Thanks guys. I'm thinking ATH-AD700's for movies and the Denon's for music and gaming. I'm new to the whole head-fi so I what should I look for when picking a headphone amp and which one would be good for the D2000.

Oh you guys are gonna love this, my buddy is sitting next to me and he told me to ask you if the D2000's are better than his Dr. Dre Beats that he bought for WAY TOO MUCH $ from Best Buy . GET HIM

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #10 of 21
Haha, thx...MomijiTMO, I will take it as a compliment.

Artie17, tell your buddy that he should try some skullcandies. I hope to get my hands on one someday. I hear they surpass all known cans includin' the big O by an astronomical margin. I'm not sure if my dac1 pre has what it takes to drive one of 'em...
frown.gif

Seriously though I think you will be pleased with the ad700 + d2k synergy considering vast majority of comments I read have been mostly positive. They complement each other very well. As for the amp, there're almost overwhelming choices at your arsenal. First, you might wanna get your mindset around whether you want a ss(solid state) or tube (or hybrid) breed.

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Artie17, tell your buddy that he should try some skullcandies. I hope to get my hands on one someday. I hear they surpass all known cans includin' the big O by an astronomical margin. I'm not sure if my dac1 pre has what it takes to drive one of 'em...
frown.gif

Seriously though I think you will be pleased with the ad700 + d2k synergy considering vast majority of comments I read have been mostly positive. They complement each other very well. As for the amp, there're almost overwhelming choices at your arsenal. First, you might wanna get your mindset around whether you want a ss(solid state) or tube (or hybrid) breed.

Hey but don't those cool designs on the skullcandies make them sound like 10 x better?

When looking at amps what is the main difference between the ss or tube?

Is this thing any good? Amazon.com: FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier: Electronics

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

More envy than a nice compliment.

hehe
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #13 of 21
The d2000's benefit GREATLY FROM AMPING. I think amping them is absolutely necessary because before I got the uDac I was going to sell them because I was really disappointed with the sound quality. I suggest you get a uDac(or a better dac if you have the money), a Little Dot I+(And you must buy the lt1364 opamp and mullard cv4010 tubes) with that set up you will be very very happy. Especially if you are a hip hop fan you will go nuts if you dont amp them.

Edit
Also welcome and sorry about your wallet
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artie17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh you guys are gonna love this, my buddy is sitting next to me and he told me to ask you if the D2000's are better than his Dr. Dre Beats that he bought for WAY TOO MUCH $ from Best Buy . GET HIM

Tarrrrrrrrrrr and feather!!!!

So when you set down your budget above, was that for each pair of phones, plus amp at the same budget (meaning your total budget is as high as $750)?

Maybe you could keep the HD-555's and just get a pair of Denon 2000's for movies--assuming you watch action movies. For drama, art house or other genres where there is a lot of close dialogue, you may want something with more pristine mids, like AKG K702's--which are generally disliked, except when mated to good amplification. Each pair, bought new, would run you at about that $250 limit you gave. That would leave room in your budget for something like a LittleDot MkIII. This would give the advantage of having extremely different personalities between the headphones, driven by fairly competent amplification.

Instead of buying a second pair of headphones to replace the Senn's, PLUS an amp, you could buy one of those pairs and a slightly costlier amp, OR--which is what I truly recommend--hold on to the Senn's for now, and simply get a better, costlier amp than usual. I know it's priced close to what may be your MAXIMUM budget, but check 6moon's review of the burson ha-160, which srajan specifically recommends with the k702's (so you could grow into those when your wallet gets comfortable again) and which sounds like a promising piece of electronics in general.

Then again, if you're open to buying used, your budget can take you in just so many directions...

Sorry my answer is so involved--basically, in short, I would hold on to the Senn's until they're dead, and blow the whole budget on a great amp. Otherwise a lot of people here have affirmed the Denon's as good movie cans, if you want something to blow you away with bass excitement (yes I like bass).

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 21
Save up more and get the d5k
darthsmile.gif

sorry about your wallet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back