New to Head-Fi!
Apr 14, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #16 of 34
The MS-1's are slightly more neutral than the SR-80's, and their highs are less piercing / fatiguing (to some). Basically, if you liked the 650's and the SR-80's, the MS-1s will be an enjoyable compromise. But if you loved the SR-80's and hated the 650's, then maybe you should just stick with the SR-80's.

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #17 of 34
HI! I am new here too... the forum has already had an effect on my wallet!!! I just bought a set of Grado SR60's, SR225's and a cmoy amp, not to mention a set of flat pads for the 225's and a grado adapter...... where does it all end? (rhetorical question...., I know the answer..... It doesn't!!!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious on how the KSC75's sound.

KSC75s sound like Grados except less bright. But they're only $10 on Amazon, and generally considered around here to be the greatest bang-for-the-buck phones. They don't out-perform the SR60s, but for their extremely low price and great performance they are really worth picking up.

Just get a pair, you won't regret it
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KSC75s sound like Grados except less bright. But they're only $10 on Amazon, and generally considered around here to be the greatest bang-for-the-buck phones. They don't out-perform the SR60s, but for their extremely low price and great performance they are really worth picking up.

Just get a pair, you won't regret it
biggrin.gif

AMEN!
Great place to start
icon10.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy ERS paper.

The only person that got it right
tongue.gif

Buy a whole roll of it.

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #23 of 34
All i can say is, there's a ton of good starter options, open, closed, IEM's, then of course the amps and DACs, it never ends!! Been here less than a month and already spent over $400! Not much by standard, but a ton considering I only expected to dish out about $75 for a decent set of cans!

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

I take a girl out all the time...that girl being my wife.

Oh, well, in that case, I think you should start on the spiral of bottomless equipment upgrades.
blink.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #25 of 34
i also recommend you to buy the alessandro ms1 instead of the sr80!

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

I would love to be able to get into the higher dollar range, but I would really like to start a little slower. $100 for headphones are one thing...200-300 are a completely different demon...my wife would be exceedingly angry...

Exactly what are the differences between the SR-80s and the MS1?

My brother own's a pair of SR-80's (along with a pair of HD 650's, but I've already listened to those) and he's letting me borrow the SR-80s for a couple of days to let me know what mine will sound like once they are broken in.

As far as how "hot" the sound is, SR80>SR60>MS1.

The SR80's are one of Grado's brightest 'phones. It does best for death metal/thrash.

The SR60's are somewhere in-between a SR80 and a MS1. They are generally recommended for basic rock.

The MS1's are SR60's remanufactured by Alessandro to sound more neutral.

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By that you mean SR125s..

True! Other than the comfy pads which makes the MS-1 "look" more like the SR-60, the MS-1 does indeed use the same materials as the higher-priced SR-125s. Helps show the higher-value level of the MS-1 at that.

One thing though that helps keep the cost down is the ID button! Yeah! That button is surprisingly expensive to produce and install!!
biggrin.gif

.....and another thing that may help keep the price lower is the pricing structure. The Grado models have to increase in stages to accomodate the additional models produced, they need a handy slot to put SR-125 above the SR-80. The MS-1 can be priced wherever George(and john)wants to put it. And "Below $100 with free shipping" is a handy sales feature.

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as how "hot" the sound is, SR80>SR60>MS1.

The SR80's are one of Grado's brightest 'phones. It does best for death metal/thrash.

The SR60's are somewhere in-between a SR80 and a MS1. They are generally recommended for basic rock.

The MS1's are SR60's remanufactured by Alessandro to sound more neutral.

No offense or anything, but many things that you stated are false. I have Grado 325 are they are way brighter than the SR80s, but I don't know about other phones. I compared a SR60 and a MS-1 and the MS1 is technically a refined SR60 while still maintaining a lot of that rock factor which made the SR60 popular.

Correct me if I'm wrong... just stating what I thought compared to you.

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post to say hello and that I really appreciate the information on these forums. I found it while looking for information on a couple headphones that I currently am looking to get/already own.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser PXC-250's and a pair of JVC HA-FX33's in white. I'm really interested in trying the mod on those.

Pretty soon here I'm probably going to be picking up a pair of Grado SR-80's. My brother owns a pair, and it was his first love in headphones.

Really new to the whole headphone scene, but I like what I hear (sorry, just a little pun...)

Looking forward to reading more and learning more.

Later!

Welcome to Head-fi! Sorry about your wallet = =

Anyways, what I have to recommend would be the MS1s. They are very refined and have enough bass for enjoyment, and the details increase after burn-in. I like them because I can enjoy many different types of music with them. I haven't really said this to anyone yet, but seriously.. don't spend too much and come here every once in a while ONLY if you have decided to buy something XD

I was once an innocent 15 year old who thought my audiotechnica A700s were going to last me for years
frown.gif
(And this was only last year o_O)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back