New to head-fi, need help for gaming headphones!
Sep 16, 2006 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

chaosrecon

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this forum in a desperate search for good headphones to listen to. I really enjoy listening to deep, high quality audio.

For my upcoming birthday I'm alotted about $200-225 for a set of headphones and whatever else may be needed. I understand $200-225 isnt much to get true audiophile quality. While reading around this forum, I noticed some brands such as Audio Technica, and Sennhesier reccomended for gaming. I've also heard some good things about some of the Grado headphones.

I want these headphones mainly for gaming from my 360. Surround sound speakers are all good and dandy, but I love the feel of having headphones and almost feeling like part of the experience. I believe this is called soundstage, right? I also like my sound having a deep feel, and not so jarring, if you know what I mean.

I was wondering how I would go about getting this experience from my 360. I figured I'd need a splitter from the composite audio cables from the back, then get an extension cord (around 20 feet is good :p), then something to control the volume of the headphones.(Would an amp do that?)

Thanks so much for reading! Please help me out
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 31
Your 5.1 speaker setup has no headphone output?

If it has one, just ask your parents for a Sennheiser HD555 or HD595, which are quite similar, except for the fact that the 595 goes for almost twice the price. Ask for the HD555 around 125$, then add up a few games and you are good to go. These cans have a impressive soundstage, as they have a speaker-like sound. Great audio positionning too. I use them with my xbox. I just plug them into the 3.5mm output jack of my speaker system. I also added a volume attenuator (a little volume control) to get rid of the static the jack produces. Chances are a splitter will not provide a sound loud enough for you, as it simply splits the sound. It only gives you 50% of the volume. That's it. If you do need an amp, the only one I tried is the PA2V2, which goes for 55-60$ and you have to get it online. It is widely recommended for gaming. I personally gaming without that amp, but I am an exception. It adds some balls, some authority, some rich bass and treble. Brings an energetic sound to these headphones. I prefer more delicate sounding phones. That's just me.

Your choices:

1) HD555 + 2 games

2) HD595 alone

3) HD555 + AMP + game

4) Anything else, as recommended by another head-fier (DT770, A900...)

Hope this helps!

You lucky young man!

Sep 17, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger.McMurphy
Your 5.1 speaker setup has no headphone output?

If it has one, just ask your parents for a Sennheiser HD555 or HD595, which are quite similar, except for the fact that the 595 goes for almost twice the price. Ask for the HD555 around 125$, then add up a few games and you are good to go. These cans have a impressive soundstage, as they have a speaker-like sound. Great audio positionning too. I use them with my xbox. I just plug them into the 3.5mm output jack of my speaker system. I also added a volume attenuator (a little volume control) to get rid of the static the jack produces. Chances are a splitter will not provide a sound loud enough for you, as it simply splits the sound. It only gives you 50% of the volume. That's it. If you do need an amp, the only one I tried is the PA2V2, which goes for 55-60$ and you have to get it online. It is widely recommended for gaming. I personally gaming without that amp, but I am an exception. It adds some balls, some authority, some rich bass and treble. Brings an energetic sound to these headphones. I prefer more delicate sounding phones. That's just me.

Your choices:

1) HD555 + 2 games

2) HD595 alone

3) HD555 + AMP + game

4) Anything else, as recommended by another head-fier (DT770, A900...)

Hope this helps!

You lucky young man!

Thanks to both for the replys!

I read into the HD595s and I did hear they were great headphones. I don't have a 5.1 set up with my 360 (I have Logitech Z5500's in my room for my PC), so I dont have an amp. We have 18 year old audio equipment with my HDTV (It sounds great, but It doesnt have a headphone out). Basically I want to take audio right out of my 360s composite out, so it would be like:

/----L--\
360- |---[exension cord]---[amp?]---headphones
\----R--/

Well basically, I have around $300 to spend. I was thinking ~200 for audio only, $60 for Gears of War (when it comes out), and then $50 to charity.

What about the Beyer Dynamic stuff? I read here that the DT 770s and DT 880s are good. I've seen both the DT 770s and DT 880s go for the same price. Would you reccomend one of those?

Thanks again!

Sep 17, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaosrecon
I want these headphones mainly for gaming from my 360. Surround sound speakers are all good and dandy, but I love the feel of having headphones and almost feeling like part of the experience. I believe this is called soundstage, right? I also like my sound having a deep feel, and not so jarring, if you know what I mean.

I find soundstage to be a psycho-acoustical effect that creates a sense of space and air in the sound (The sound seems more "airy" and "open," and you're able to designate certain sounds to certain imaginary points around your ears; it's KIND OF like a reverb effect, but without the distortion and intangible feeling. By "open" I don't mean open headphones; closed headphones can have huge soundstages just as much as open headphones). There is a sort of psyco-acoustical "stage" in/around your head where you can place various sounds to a certain degree.

What kind of music do you listen to and is there any specific kind of sound you are shooting for? I'd recommend looking at the Audio-Technica Ax00 series. They are closed, comfortable (pleather earpads), have a long cable, have punchy bass, and have a rather spacious sound with a nice sized soundstage. If you want soundstage, then I'd highly recommend staying away from Grados (They are known to have a very upfront and forward sound with an almost non-existent soundstage; comfort also varies from person to person compared to circumaural cans).

The Ax00 series are VERY efficient and don't need an amp to shine, though you may want one if you have no other means to drive them other than the line out on your 360. The A500s (~$100) should be fine, but if you'd prefer the mental satisfaction of knowing that you're not missing out on anything in the line, the A900s are $189. Not many people check out the middle of the road A700s, but from the pictures I've seen they sure are GORGEOUS. Depending on which one of these you get, you have many amp choices (Though they honestly shouldn't make much of a difference SQ wise due to how efficient these headphones are). Just to throw out some cheap amps for you to look into:

CMOY - ~$40-50 (DIY amp)
PA2V2 - $60
Go-Vibe V5 - $75
Portable PIMETA - ~$60-$80 (DIY amp)
PINT (Pimeta Is Now Tiny) - ~$80-100 (DIY amp; discontinued, IIRC)
Z-Audio Epsilon - $99

To save $, try looking for gear in this forum's marketplace.

EDIT:
DT770s are good, but they are VERY bassy headphones and I think you'd need a beefy amp to control them. They DO have very comfortable velour earpads and are built like a tank. DT880s don't seem to be used as gaming headphones as often as the DT770s. The reason why I recommended the Ax00 series is because they are VERY efficient and somewhat inexpensive (You don't have to worry as much about getting a "good" amp to drive them). Some people have used the HD5x5's for gaming; I don't have any personal experience with these so I can't really comment too much. What I do know is that they are open and would leak, if that's an issue for you. And based on what I've read, I believe that they should have a smaller (slightly?) soundstage than the Ax00. They are supposed to be less efficient than the Ax00s, but I don't think an amp is absolutely necessary for them (Though you're looking for an amp anyways, so...).

My advice would be to go the conservative path and get something like the A500s with a PA2V2 or Go-Vibe and call it a day. The difference between the A500s and A900s is supposedly very small (Especially to someone that doesn't have experience with high-end headphones), so I wouldn't bother paying that much extra for a higher model unless you really need the mental satisfaction.

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 31
Thanks for the reply!

I also want to use this for listening to music, through the 360 that is. Is an amp absolutely necessary for the DT-880? I mean, I may end up getting an AMP in the future, because I wouldnt have to replace the headphones. I want to keep the headphones for a decently long time, so I guess I could get an amp later. Now I'm stuck between the DT-880 and A900.

Whatever headphone makes gaming awesome, thats the one I'll choose!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 31
Despite what some people say, a dedicated headphone amp isn't absolutely necessary to get great sound from a set of good headphones. However, if you plan on connecting them directly to the line output on your 360, I HIGHLY recommend you find some means of amplifying the signal (A simple CMOY, PA2V2, or Go-Vibe is all you really need).

I haven't heard the DT880s, so I can't really comment. Though I suspect that driving them directly from the line outout of a 360 won't exactly sound spectacular (DT880s are relatively high impedance - 250 ohms, so I personally would never drive them through the line output of my source; A900s are 40 ohms and HD595s are 50 ohms).

For clarification - An efficient headphone that doesn't require a dedicated headphone amp won't automatically sound worse than a less efficient headphone that is driven with a dedicated headphone amp.

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 31
Err, Azure, what do you mean you'd need a beefy amp to control the DT770s? I think they'd be perfect for gaming, and especially with the level of bass they deliver, it'd be great for simulating explosions and retain the detail and sounstage required of gaming headphones. All that in a set of extremely comfy headphones, and you can get a good price on them too.

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Despite what some people say, a dedicated headphone amp isn't absolutely necessary to get great sound from a set of good headphones. However, if you plan on connecting them directly to the line output on your 360, I HIGHLY recommend you find some means of amplifying the signal (A simple CMOY, PA2V2, or Go-Vibe is all you really need).

I haven't heard the DT880s, so I can't really comment. Though I suspect that driving them directly from the line outout of a 360 won't exactly sound spectacular (DT880s are relatively high impedance - 250 ohms, so I personally would never drive them through the line output of my source; A900s are 40 ohms and HD595s are 50 ohms).

For clarification - An efficient headphone that doesn't require a dedicated headphone amp won't automatically sound worse than a less efficient headphone that is driven with a dedicated headphone amp.

So does a A900 + a CMOY on ebay sound good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-Cmoy-headp...QQcmdZViewItem

or a DT880 / DT770 look good?

I guess I will get an amp, but will a Cmoy do the job and how often do I need to change the battery?

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
Err, Azure, what do you mean you'd need a beefy amp to control the DT770s? I think they'd be perfect for gaming, and especially with the level of bass they deliver, it'd be great for simulating explosions and retain the detail and sounstage required of gaming headphones. All that in a set of extremely comfy headphones, and you can get a good price on them too.

Well, when I tried the DT770s through my PA2V2 (Admittedly a bassy amp), my old stereo receiver, and through my cheap PC speaker's headphone jack I found the bass completely out of control and ridiculous (Despite my STAX rig, I'm one that can find bass-heavy car stereo's "fun"). It was too bassy to the extent that bloated would be an understatement (It sounded like EQ'ing a cheap car stereo so that the low end is several decibels higher than the rest of the spectrum, and essentially trying to blow out your speakers). Everybody told me that I'd need a more juicy amp to drive them and that this was "normal" if not driven properly (Too bad I didn't have my M3 at the time). I'm all for having huge, vibrating and punchy bass for gaming, but not the kind that the DT770s delivered when I amped them with relatively low-end amps (It sounded like there was low-quality bloated bass on nearly every sound, from the low end to the upper midrange). I think driving the DT770s from the line out of his 360 would be a big no-no, the same with using a cheap headphone amp (Though his experience may be different if he uses a cheap amp other than a PA2V2).

If you do end up getting the DT770s, make sure that you get the "Professional" and 80 ohm version. You can find them on eBay from a seller that accepts offers (I believe he'll accept ~$150 shipped for them). I think the A900s would be quite similar (I had the A500s for nearly a year and they are supposed to sound pretty similar to the A900s -- punchy bass, wide soundstage, really comfortable).

I was just advising him to consider more efficient headphones considering his budget and need for a relatively cheap headphone amp. I figured that a more conservative approach would be most appropriate as he wants to spend $200 on audio and the rest on other things (Perhaps subconsciously I'm trying steer him away from the dark side of head-fi?
lambda.gif
).

Figuring a $200 budget:
DT770 + CMOY/PA2V2
A900 + CMOY
A500 + Go-Vibe V5/PIMETA/PINT

I'm not sure if a CMOY would be efficient enough to drive the DT770s (I know from my experience that the PA2V2 certainly wasn't, though it IS a bassy amp...).

Is there any way you can audition any of these headphones? Where are you located?

EDIT:

Considering your situation, I wouldn't check out the DT880s since they're relatively expensive for your budget and you'll have little to no money left for an amp (Can we all agree that driving the 250 ohm DT880s from the line out from a 360 isn't the best idea?).

I haven't heard a CMOY before, so I can only tell you so much. It should be fine for your purpose, but I don't know too much about battery life (Shouldn't be too much though; I THINK it's at least 10 hours).

Perhaps a more appropriate question: Do you see yourself getting into headphones as a hobby in the near future, or do you just want a set of gaming headphone and be done?

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

So does a A900 + a CMOY on ebay sound good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-Cmoy-headp...QQcmdZViewItem

or a DT880 / DT770 look good?

I guess I will get an amp, but will a Cmoy do the job and how often do I need to change the battery?

I really don't think you need an amplifier, and if you do, a cmoy/DIY amp pops up in the FS forum where you can get a better amp for a better price. You don't need the amp in my opinion, and if you want it, you can always get it later. THe A900 doesn't need an amp at all imo, but I'm not really a fan of the non-woodied Audio Technica lineup. I would suggest posting a WTB ad for either the DT770-80s or the DT880s. Remember to request for the newer models or get a deal on the older versions
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
I really don't think you need an amplifier, and if you do, a cmoy/DIY amp pops up in the FS forum where you can get a better amp for a better price. You don't need the amp in my opinion, and if you want it, you can always get it later. THe A900 doesn't need an amp at all imo, but I'm not really a fan of the non-woodied Audio Technica lineup. I would suggest posting a WTB ad for either the DT770-80s or the DT880s. Remember to request for the newer models or get a deal on the older versions
smily_headphones1.gif

He plans on using the headphones with his 360, so if he doesn't get an amp he'll have to drive the A900s directly by the 360's line output. I tried this (Not with a 360, but with my PS2) with my A500s and personally didn't like the sound and inability to control the volume. This is why I recommend a cheap amp like a CMOY (And why I don't suggest him trying DT880s, since I think he'll be disappointed by driving them through the line out on his 360).

I hadn't considered the new 2005 Beyerdynamic line though. There are supposed to be 32 ohm DT770s, so that might work for you (More expensive than a DT770/80, but should be much more efficient).

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
He plans on using the headphones with his 360, so if he doesn't get an amp he'll have to drive the A900s directly by the 360's line output. I tried this (Not with a 360, but with my PS2) with my A500s and personally didn't like the sound and inability to control the volume. This is why I recommend a cheap amp like a CMOY (And why I don't suggest him trying DT880s, since I think he'll be disappointed by driving them through the line out on his 360).

I hadn't considered the new 2005 Beyerdynamic line though. There are supposed to be 32 ohm DT770s, so that might work for you (More expensive than a DT770/80, but should be much more efficient).

ah, yeah, just caught that.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 31
To Azure:

Thanks for the reccomendations and all. To your question, I don't think headphones will become a hobby, persay, but when I'm in the market I will look for something good
smily_headphones1.gif

To Dieinafire:

Thanks for your suggestions. I want to buy it from an online store like newegg though. The reason is returns are really easy with them and my parents would be okay with paying via online

Okay, I'm going to skip the amp for now. (Unless I can find the two latter speakers for 150-160) If I get birthday cash from friends or something, I'll consider it. Without an amp, which would be better: The A900 or DT770? Also, where is the best place to get these from an online store? I've only seen the DT770 for 180 and the A900 for 200.

One more question about a CMOY or any amp:

Would I be able to control total volume with the knob on the amp? That would be a deal maker for me, because then I can both get power and also control volume. Battery life bothers me though, does the PA2V2 or CMOY have a rechargeable option or direct power option?

Thanks again!

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

To Azure:

Thanks for the reccomendations and all. To your question, I don't think headphones will become a hobby, persay, but when I'm in the market I will look for something good
smily_headphones1.gif

To Dieinafire:

Thanks for your suggestions. I want to buy it from an online store like newegg though. The reason is returns are really easy with them and my parents would be okay with paying via online

Okay, I'm going to skip the amp for now. (Unless I can find the two latter speakers for 150-160) If I get birthday cash from friends or something, I'll consider it. Without an amp, which would be better: The A900 or DT770? Also, where is the best place to get these from an online store? I've only seen the DT770 for 180 and the A900 for 200.

One more question about a CMOY or any amp:

Would I be able to control total volume with the knob on the amp? That would be a deal maker for me, because then I can both get power and also control volume. Battery life bothers me though, does the PA2V2 or CMOY have a rechargeable option or direct power option?

Thanks again!

A900s should sound better unamped than DT770 80 ohm version. A lot of people get their Audio-Technica fix from audiocubes.com.

You can control the "total volume" with the CMOY or other headphone amp. I'm not entirely sure what you mean here, but it'd basically be like the volume knob on any other amplifier. You can use the PA2V2 with AC power through a wall socket and it can charge rechargeable batteries.

What speakers are you referring to that you want to find for $150-160? I'd still highly suggest looking into a cheap amp if you plan on using the line out on your 360.

Oh, and you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't plan on getting into high-end headphone music reproduction as a hobby, but end up getting sucked in anyways. I came here just looking for a decent pair of headphones to for gaming and music and then having no interest in continuing this thing as a hobby (My brain didn't even think of headphones as a hobby). But look at me now, I now have a $1k electrostatic rig and have several upgrades in the future that'll bring my final rig to $2k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back