New to Head-Fi, looking for a recommendation for open headphones to listen to opera/orchestra music
Sep 19, 2016 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

YoloHolo

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm really excited to get started with some nice sounding cups to replace my plebeian gaming headset (Logitech 930s). I went through the Headphone buying guide on this site, and was looking towards the mid-range - upper mid-range specifically. My budget is $150, a bit flexible because I'll be looking for a bargain on ebay so it doesn't need to be $150 exact . I'm more than glad to buy used on a site like ebay to get better sounding headphones. I'll be primarily using them to listen to classical music (something that can bring out the string instruments clearly) maybe a little of jazz. I'm looking for a pair that has clear natural sound in that price range for the type of music I'll be listening to. Thanks for the help!

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 10
I would look at the Sennheiser HD598. Good timbre and wide soundstage for opera / orchestra / jazz. I would advise getting an amp later on. They do benefit from one. Cleans up the mid bass a little. They have a big impedance spike around ~100hz.  Without good amping the bass is a little boomy. 

FYI: $86 used on Amazon. Heck of a deal, they're back ordered though. 

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 10
I've looked at the hd598. Is there a big difference between the hd600 and 598 that would warrant the price difference. And which sounds better without an amp? Also took a look at the akg q 701, would that sound good with the music I'll be listening to? Thanks in advance!

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #9 of 10
I've looked at the hd598. Is there a big difference between the hd600 and 598 that would warrant the price difference. And which sounds better without an amp? Also took a look at the akg q 701, would that sound good with the music I'll be listening to? Thanks in advance!

A used 598 is probably a better value, the new one is going to be much more expensive.

The 598 sounds best unamped. 600 and 650 an amp is almost mandatory.

http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/ Read this... I have owned both headphones and agree with almost everything in the article. I dont know about the Q701... never tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back