New to forums and buying recommendations
Aug 2, 2008 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GravityEyelids

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone. Over the last few days i've been researching headphones and browsing these forums extensively. I've decided finally to join these forums and upgrade to better cans. I can feel my wallet slipping away already...

I worked this summer and have near $600 saved. I plan to get the PX100 soon, if i can find them cheap. But i've also been looking at other phones such as the Grado 60/80s and Senn Hd280 as kind of my home phones.

I listen to many different types of music, but mostly listen to Grunge, Psychedelic, Progressive, Art-metal, Classic Rock, etc. I've heard great things about the SR60s and that they are great for Rock music. Can anyone confirm this? But the HD280 are closed, which would be cool too, but how do they compare sonically?

Also, is it worth it to get an inexpensive Cmoy amp for the px100s and/or Grados/Senns?

My dad has a pair of Sony MCR-V6 which sound excellent after some tweaking; does anyone know how the phones i listed match up to those?

Sorry about the long post , but it's my first and i would like some guidance. Like i said, I have done pretty extensive research and i guess have developed somewhat of a bias toward senn's. Thanks.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 6
One last question: where would i go to try out phones'? I've heard like guitar center, but thats pretty far away. Would like circuit city have decent ones?

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 6
some online retailers like amazon give you 30 days to return stuff. You could order and test them out and send them back if you dont like them... or take trip to guitar center to try out a few sets.

Once you get up to 50 posts you will be able to sell in the forsale forum, this is a great way of buying and selling headphones because they sell cheaper used, sound better used, and then you can sell them right back to other headfi members for little or no loss.

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back