New to Forum - New Gear and DIY Amp
Jul 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Can Junkie

Head-Fier
Hi guys. New to forum and wanted to say hi and introduce self.
Bought my first pair of good head phones and I think I made a good choice. ATH-M50's.
I also fired up my soldering iron for some DIY action. While this amp has plenty of "cons", it also is blessed with some "pros".
214 solder joints and 72 parts later, I was ready to give my Ramsey Electronics SHA-2 the smoke test. Well, she came out of the gate hard and fast hot off the soldering iron sounding great. Yes, there is a very lound "Pop" if you forget to unplug the cans before you power down the amp.Unplug them first, no problems. For this reason, I would suggest all the high $ can guys to stay away from this amp. And, yes there is a little hiss you can hear during soft moments of songs. (In between too). Both of these problems are well documented and to date, Ramsey has not solved the problems. BUT,....it has twin phone outs, each with its own amp. It has knobs for Volume, Bass and Treble and a loop out for daisy chaining amps. Best of all, it has a button in the rear that activates a loudness circuit and it really does the job. The loudness function really brings out the Bass and even seems to help the Treble. Well worth the $80 shipped I paid.
Good to be here guys.
Thanks
Eric.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 6
I like the look of that old radio! Going by the tubes is there 7 of them ?
The 2 dark large ones look like out-put  tubes so maybe push-pull ?The small black ones are WW2 metal cased tubes these were made to a high standard.
date I would put -late 40s./early 50s. I have many books on old radios UK and US   if you could give me the make and model number   I could look to see if I have a circuit diagram

Users who are viewing this thread

Back