New To Electronic Music, Recommendations And Genres?
Aug 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TRapz

500+ Head-Fier
I usually listen to rock and metal, but recently I tried some electronic music. I liked it a lot, but I'm not sure what genre or subgenre I like; I only know that it was electronic. I listened to and liked:

CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share 

CHVRCHES - Recover

M83 - Midnight City

Ellie Goulding - Lights (Bassnectar Remix)

I'd be very thankful if anyone could tell me what genre these songs/bands belong to and/or recommend some other songs/bands that I may like. I enjoy the first three the most (I believe it's the sythesizer that I like a lot). Thanks for reading and for any help.

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 7
I rather like M83. There are few other outfits that manage to produce synth passages that makes my guts gurn in quite that way.

Broadly speaking they are synth pop, though on the darker, more 'emo' side of the scale. They also have some heavy influences from shoegaze and post-rock. If you feel like exploring those genres My Bloody Valentine and Mogwai would be good places to start.

If you want more more dark synth pop, maybe the latest co-op between Röyksopp and Robyn would be of interest? (they released a mini album this summer)

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 7
  I rather like M83. There are few other outfits that manage to produce synth passages that makes my guts gurn in quite that way.

Broadly speaking they are synth pop, though on the darker, more 'emo' side of the scale. They also have some heavy influences from shoegaze and post-rock. If you feel like exploring those genres My Bloody Valentine and Mogwai would be good places to start.

If you want more more dark synth pop, maybe the latest co-op between Röyksopp and Robyn would be of interest? (they released a mini album this summer)

I'm in love with the instrumental, but the vocals I'm not so crazy about. To me, it sounds too much like today's pop singers, which I'm not a huge fan of. I enjoy the voices of the singers from M83 and CHVRCHES, they're unique and fit well with the synth. I'll be sure to check out My Bloody Valentine and Mogwai when I've got some more time. Thanks for your help

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 7
How about Fever Ray (Karen from The Knife) It's quite dark, but it may be a little too downtempo for you.

Another one is the latest album from Sydney duo "Hermitude" It has loads of synth, and is a little more upbeat than Fever Ray. There are some bangin' tracks on this album.
Full playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcjr3cLQjCo&list=PL6220F7692D783454

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 7
You might like MGMT's album Oracular Spectacular.
Also similar are Goldfrapp, Massive Attack, Royksopp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back