New to DIY, need headset clarification
Dec 25, 2012 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Folex

Member of the Trade: PLAudio
I am looking to recable a headphone and also hardwire a microphone. From the diagram this is how I see recabling of a pair of headphones. Ideally I want to get a 5,6 or 7 conductor/channel (not sure the right terminology) all-in-one cable to recable the headphones and microphone. I'm not sure if the microphone is just left and right wire or I need a 3rd cable for common/ground? Can the microphone share the same common/ground? Thank you in advance with any help.

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 22
if i'm getting this right you want to make from a mic and some pair of headphones a gaming headset

you need a four conductor cable (i have such but i don't remember where i got it from) better get a five and use two of them for ground

1 ground for left right and mic
left channel
right channel
mic channel

then you need to connect the headphones to a 3.5mm jack where:
tip - left
ring - right
sleeve - ground

then you need to connect the mic from that same cable to a 3.5mm jack:
tip - mic
ring - mic again
sleeve - no need to connect again

reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#Tip-ring-sleeve_terminology

EDIT:
ground is one for the left right and mic (you may need to make a jump from the right earpiece to the left in order to connect everything into one cable)

make the cable as short as comfort allows

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 22
That confuses me, because don't you need 4 alone just for the headphone? 2 grounds, left and a right?

These are the possible configurations I'm thinking might work.

a) headphone( 2 grounds, left right) microphone (ground, left right) = 7 wires

A2) headphones, (2 grounds, left, right) Microphone (shared ground, left right) = 6 wires

C) headphones, (2 grounds, left right) Microphone *mono* (ground and audio) = 5 Wires

D) headphones, (2 grounds, left right) Microphone (left right) = 6 wires [ Does microphone need a ground?]

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 22
reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#Tip-ring-sleeve_terminology

EDIT:
ground is one for the left right and mic (you may need to make a jump from the right earpiece to the left in order to connect everything into one cable)

make the cable as short as comfort allows

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 22
Right now I have a pair of Sennheiser 31's, while the sound is iffy they are 10 feet and come with a microphone. I use them over Denon 2000, Sennheiser 555 and other headphones solely due to the microphone capabilities. I am constantly getting up with the headset on and moving around the room. I assume you mention a short cable due to sound quality, assuming that's the case I can always hook it into a sound card/amp. Are you saying you only need 1 ground for everything? I would think you'd need atleast 2, 1 for each 3.5mm plug.

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 22

yes ONE ground (here we use 2 conductors for it to improve SQ)

i'm not sure what do you want to do - put a mic on the D2000?

and no - amp wont fix the "long cable problem"

and if you want to use the headphones with an amp - you WILL need a separate ground for the mic

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 22
That was my bad, I thought I mentioned it, but looking back I don't think I did. I absolutely HATE single sided cables. I am incredibly OCD about having things balanced. With that said I'd need dual entry

Would this work ?

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 22
this will work but it's kinda idiotic

could you please redefine what are you trying to do because i can't understand clearly from the first post

then i will be able to help you more effectively

and mic is always mono - even in studios.. stereo effect is achieved via mixing

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 22
Dual sided headphones with an attached microphone.

Every dual sided headphone I've owned has = 4 wires, left + ground and right + ground.

Every pair of single sided headphones has shorted out on 1 side, its another reason why i hate single sided cables

The microphone i wasn't sure if it was mono or stereo, so being mono @ most i'm gonna need 1 wire for left/right and 1 wire for ground?

I'm looking @ buying a Single cable with 4-7 wires within it, depending on what I need.

Something like this

I wish the image online had better colors

But still not sure if the microphone plug needs a ground wire, and if there is any downside to sharing a ground.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 22
which headphones are you going to use, because if it's going to be the denons it's not a good idea to ruin their cable since it's very good - please be more detailed because there are differences that you are not noticing

if the denons - separate, two conductor cable, for the mic, strapped to the cable of the denons - simple and not ruining anything

the reason single sided cables break is because single sided headphones are cheaper models - hence use cheaper cables

you need separate ground for the mic if you are going to use the headphones with an amp - otherwise there is no need to make the cable heavier

there is no downside sharing a ground because it IS shared - main principle of every circuit

more ground wires is to improve SQ but if you use that that same wire for the mic ground it's not going to affect the SQ because mic has hardly any consumption

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 22
Well Senn 555's and audio technica ad700's aren't exactly cheap models (Single sided cables). For the headphones I plan to Frankenstein the whole process. I am going to order an OEM pair of headphones from china and remove the drivers and cable and then order drivers and raw cable and terminate it myself. The only part I'm not entirely sure about is what is the lowest conductor cable I need to wire up a headset reliably. I use my current headset easily 8-10 hours a day so I doubt I'm going to go with a full size pair like ad700, 555's or 2000's. Thinking maybe a pair comparable to a "open" Sony MDR-V150, because when I wear around the ear for over 3 hours it begins to feel hot and uncomfortable.

So from what I gathered, a shared ground on the headphone part would not matter, even if amped

Microphone you want it's own ground if you plan to amp the headphones

The microphone is mono, so it only needs 1 wire for the audio and 1 wire for ground ( to future proof it, if i use an amp)

So in all I'd need 5 Conductors ?

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
So from what I gathered, a shared ground on the headphone part would not matter, even if amped

that is correct

get two cables: two conductor and four conductor

two conductor: for the right channel and separate ground (to improve sq)
four conductor: left channel ground, mic ground, mic channel and left channel

thus you are going to get two sided cable, amp compatibility, and best sq (with 5 or 6 conductor cable you are going to have thin ugly wires after the "Y")

one note: swapping drivers is not that easy

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #14 of 22
This is how I'm understanding it, and wouldn't it look really ugly @ the plug level having 2 cables and having a Y split at that level ? Unless you can mix microphone output with audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back