New to Computer Audio newb question please!
Aug 14, 2014 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dale55

New Head-Fier
I am very new to computer music so I am going to post a question that is probably pretty basic, but I could really use some help. I am currently using a musical fidelity V90 USB dac connected to a Bravo Ocean headphone tube amp going to my Sennheiser 650 phones. My question is I also have a cd player connected via coax to the DAC as well. Would it give me better sound to simply use my cd player to listen to my cds, or should I rip them to Foobar and then upsample them?

I hope this makes sense. I am in the learning stage for sure. I have been an audiophile for many years, but just now getting into the computer music thing.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Dale

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 8
Rip your music CDs to your hard drive as 16-bit/44.1k FLAC music files, then play your music with Foobar2000 from your computer.
Should equal the music quality from playing CDs on the CD player.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Rip your music CDs to your hard drive as 16-bit/44.1k FLAC music files, then play your music with Foobar2000 from your computer.
Should equal the music quality from play CDs on the CD player.

+1

EAC is a good free ripper that works well.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 8
Good advice so far. I am also using the EAC and find it excellent.

Regarding the upsampling mentioned by the OP: if you really really want, you can always do that on the fly while playing the ripped files. But there's absolutely no benefit in ripping the standard CDs into a higher resolution format. You would be just wasting disk space.

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 8
  Good advice so far. I am also using the EAC and find it excellent.

Regarding the upsampling mentioned by the OP: if you really really want, you can always do that on the fly while playing the ripped files. But there's absolutely no benefit in ripping the standard CDs into a higher resolution format. You would be just wasting disk space.

Thanks for the help. That is what I was really looking for. It sounds like ripping the cd to the hard drive is just for convenience sake, which is not what I was trying to accomplish. THANKS!

Dale

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 8
Rip the CDs to your hard drive in a lossless format (FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, DSF). The playback will always be better from a hard drive, since you remove the complex pit searching, and error correction, read jitter from a CD Player. Plus not to mention noise from the motor mechanism, and S/PDIF outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back