New to computer audio...need advice on setting up a system
Mar 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

etys rule

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I've recently discovered the joys and convenience of listening to my vinyl ripped FLAC files through my macbook. However, as many of you have pointed out, my optical port on my MB only samples as high as 96Khz.

I am looking to expand upon the limits of my MB. My question is, how do I do so. Just so you know, I currently have a pair of HE400's, a Violectric V90 headphone amp (on the way) and a Audioengine D1. I had a Matrix M-stage amp which I've sold once I purchased the V90. With all the choices and products discussed on this forum my head is spinning. As as I don't have a background in electrical eng, it's that much more difficult for me to swim in these waters.

Would someone please explain to me what I need to get the most out of a computer based system. I'd like to say my budget is limitless, but as I am out of work, it isn't. I will say that I prefer a robust bottom end, preferably BB or W8741 chips. The V90 is socketed so I can change opamps as I wish.

Things I've read about:
V Link
USB/SPDIF converter
V Can

I don't know where these go nor what they do. And trying to search got me no where.

Thanks in advance for your advice and expertise. Please note, specific brands of gear are not needed here. Just a basic what goes where and why approach will suffice.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 8
I have a few questions for you.

Are you interested in setting up a hifi to be fed by this system, or just to listen on headphones?

If you want external speakers, how big is the space you're in, how close would you sit to where your speakers would be, and what's your budget like?

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for replying. This will be for headphones only while I take a break from working on the computer. I was so impressed by the difference the Audioengine D1 made over the Macbook, I am looking to find other improvements, with your help, by purchasing and correctly implementing the proper gear.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 8
I can't advise about headphones because at the moment I just have a pair of P5s for on the go with my phone and am getting ready to splash out on cans for the home, but I have certainly been hearing great things about the Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650 headphones.

As for a DAC, my Meridian Explorer is working great at home driving an Apple-based system into a hifi, but there are some issues with the amp output.  Apparently though, a fix is already in the works.

Also, the HRT Streamer II and the Dragonfly seem pretty popular if you want something that can move with your MBP.  

All I can tell you is that when I upgraded from an Airport Express analog out to my Meridian USB DAC, the difference was massive.  The music came alive and depth and dynamics were revealed that the AE never came close to reproducing.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 8
unless you are making some sort of joke about tossing out everything you've already got because you aren't happy with it.. the needs are pretty simple.

a soundcard that sounds good is number 1
and then if the volume isn't loud enough, an amplifier is 2
from there, you need to look at what equalizer settings you can get ahold of and run some test tones to adjust the volume of those test tones until they all sound about the same.
it is easier to use a graphic equalizer because each slider has a preset frequency, and that way you can aim for those tones specifically when playing a test tone.
(because if you had a parametric equalizer, then there really isn't any specific place to start which might be bothersome or excessively time consuming)

if you don't want to adjust the tones by ear, you need to get a microphone with a calibration file and look into an audio analyzer for the computer.
last i heard, room eq wizard will work on a mac .. i used it to equalize a pair of headphones and they sounded much better than going without, so good in fact that i didn't bother to go back and adjust anything by ear.

i took an old ovaltine tub and cut a hole in the lid for the microphone tip, then cut a hole in the back for the butt of the microphone to stick out.. then just put the headphones onto the ovaltine tub like wearing them on the head.. and from there i ran some pink noise to adjust the equalizer.

that is pretty much it, except for one last final thing that might prove to be more of a hassle than a reward for effort..
get one of the plugins that claims to make headphones sound better, what you are looking for is to try and change the phase of the audio from the speaker inside to get it good and flat when it hits your eardrum.
but you can't do this with a microphone i dont think, not without some extra insight i believe.. because what the microphone hear's isnt phase identical to what your ear drum hears.
and that means maybe doing some equalizer settings with the microphone, and then messing around with the headphone plugin .. only to find out your equalizer settings require another adjustment (maybe the microphone will be able to help if you ignore the phase response, but maybe the sound in the ovaltine lid area simply wont match because of reflections)

when it is all said and done right, the sine sweep will go from the bottom to the top and it should sound really hard to follow the increase, because there isnt any difference in phase to allow your brain to get a grip on the signal.. so the slipping because of the lack of grip is what results.

and as for opinion.. some people want headphones that are mostly smooth in the sine sweep, even if there are some spots in the frequency response with different phase.
but other people will find the few spots of different phase to be annoying.
not only is it a matter of being able to ignore (or be blind to) something, but also a thing of how sensitivity is received by the mind.

from there after, needs aren't as clearly defined..
there are some wants that could be expressed, like looking for specific amplifier and DAC combinations that more closely match the output of the speaker motor in the headphone.. but i dont know how much of a difference it will make .. and i dont know if the differences in today's (as well as yesterdays) products will make a large enough difference to provide a reason for the search to begin.
i also dont know if such a combination has already been found.

another want some people thirst for is the option to make the sound appear more inside the head or more outside of the physical headphones.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 8
At what sampling rate did you rip your vinyl albums?  Was it higher than 96KkHz?

If not, there is no benefit (and arguably a loss) to operate your system beyond 96kHz.

If so, I can offer a few tips.

Quote:
Hi all. I've recently discovered the joys and convenience of listening to my vinyl ripped FLAC files through my macbook. However, as many of you have pointed out, my optical port on my MB only samples as high as 96Khz.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
At what sampling rate did you rip your vinyl albums?  Was it higher than 96KkHz?

If not, there is no benefit (and arguably a loss) to operate your system beyond 96kHz.

If so, I can offer a few tips.

My vinyl was ripped with a 96Khz sample rate. I saw no need for anything higher as my wallet can't afford gear capable of playing 192Khz. And my ears can't hear the difference anyway. :)

Tips are always welcome.

Right now, I am looking at using a Mini to setup a computer rig. I like the quite operation and the iPad remote capabilities. And Audirvana is great for my needs.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 8
Regarding bit depth and sample rate, just because his existing rips are at 96k doesn't mean he won't have higher resolution recordings in the future.

I use a Mini. It's a great solution. Whisper quiet. If money is a big issue, you also might want to look at a Raspberry Pi.

Then you need a good USB Dac, an integrated amp and speakers. Or powered speakers without the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back