New to Computer Audio: Looking for some advice.
Jan 11, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by A Lemon Demon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He used them for a while, so I don't know their value. I have seen the k701s on amazon for like 250 - so it wasn't *that* much, but still a nice gift. I wish he had handed me his amp, though.

Is the Asus Xonar's amp strong enough to fully drive the k701s, or would you require an additional external amp?

Will it be an improvement on what you have now?

Yes. Pretty noticeable.

Is the Zero the next step up?

Yes, but not as much as the audigy to the Xonar.

To fully drive AKG 701s do I need a nuclear power plant?

Pretty much yes.

evil_smiley.gif

Either way, your friend is REALLY nice. Tell him it made my day to read of such generosity.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #32 of 34
I told him and in turn, he told me that I owe him now - so I think I will have to fix his computer and ipod, and everything else that he breaks and cannot fix himself.

Can somebody explain why it takes soo much to drive the k701s? It seems like it does not require much from what I read about its specs, but I am obviously an amateur in this field
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by A Lemon Demon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I am obviously an amateur in this field
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't underestimate yourself or your ears - they can probably hear better than the majority of head-fi-ers because they haven't been abused with headphones for years
wink.gif
Yet...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I personally don't think the 701s are an especially power hungry headphone, but many disagree. Try to find a store or a meet you can attend and try a few things to hear the difference for yourself. Take anything you're told here with more than a handful of salt... especially advice from the zealous 'devotees'
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back