New to audiophilia. Questions...
Jul 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #47 of 61
The dac chip they are using is the wm8740.  Fiio x3 and ibasso dx50 (released end of this month) use the same chip as the ak100 for a dramatically cheaper price. More DAP are coming into the market this year or early 2014 (with better dac chips and cheaper price) meaning Iriver needs to step up its game or it will lose its ground on the market. I give them 2 years to notice and take action.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #48 of 61
The dac chip they are using is the wm8740.  Fiio x3 and ibasso dx50 (released end of this month) use the same chip as the ak100 for a dramatically cheaper price. More DAP are coming into the market this year or early 2014 (with better dac chips and cheaper price) meaning Iriver needs to step up its game or it will lose its ground on the market. I give them 2 years to notice and take action.

You advised that I buy the AK120, though.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #49 of 61

There is always something better and cheaper coming down the line, just the way it is with this stuff. If you are always waiting for the better cheaper stuff you will never buy anything....

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #50 of 61
Quote:
There is always something better and cheaper coming down the line, just the way it is with this stuff. If you are always waiting for the better cheaper stuff you will never buy anything....

+1
Quote:
You advised that I buy the AK120, though.

Because its the best in the market right now. Hifi DAP seem to be the hot thing right now so in the next 10 years it will go through massive  improvements. The hd800 would be outdated for 30+ years and the amp for around 10+ years (mostly battery improvments).  If you want you can use your galaxy or just a cheap DAP like fiio x3 then wait 2 years for all hifi DAP to have very good dap chips and purchase then.  Once they have the highest 24bit dac chip then most improvements will be around form and battery.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #51 of 61
Thank you, David Chavez, for steering me right. I ordered everything and it was the greatest investment I have made since buying Skyrim(lol). I am going to get a good amp and keeping the LCD-3 home(I bought the LCD-3 instead of the HD800). Everytime I see them, I get so excited. For mobile use I am buying the M100 and will be using the same setup instead, and just buying a dedicated amp for my LCD-3.
Thanks again for the knowledge.

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #52 of 61
What amp are you using now? Pretty nice that you bought the lcd-3, though. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #53 of 61
Yeah if I could ask what are you currently looking at for a amp?  And what's your price range?  I personally am saving up for the woo audio wa22 .  What ever your looking at make sure it at least puts out 1watt @32ohms to give enough power to your lcd3's. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #54 of 61
Yeah if I could ask what are you currently looking at for a amp?  And what's your price range?  I personally am saving up for the woo audio wa22 .  What ever your looking at make sure it at least puts out 1watt @32ohms to give enough power to your lcd3's. 

I am not knowledgeable about amps. Just point and pick what is recommended. I am using the setup u advised for my m100. I heard the blue hawaii or something is the best amp. My budget is high so give it to me.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #55 of 61
Blue Hawaii is for electrostats. Don't know much about hi-end amps, but I'd advice getting something with power in spades, considering you seem to like your bass.
I'm thinking something like the Schiit Ragnarok would be pretty cool, but I have got no experience with very expensive amps and such..

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #56 of 61
First I thought it was a joke, but, I am board, so let's see........

If you love dumstep, the best best for the most expensive phone will be either TH900 or LCD3. (I wanna say STAX, but they can not be powered by portable gears.)
And for portable AMP, I think the most "expensive" way to go is to use AK1200 as a DAC and RSA SR-71B will be a good choice (Both of them are slim) If size is not an issue, then they try the overpriced Ibasso HDP-R10 (they are the same as DX100, but much much more expensive because it is made in Japan).

Also, if you want to get the best of the best (in terms of the price), replace the "cheap" stock cable with the DHC "Spore" cable

Well, I think I said enough. But if you really love dumstep, I think ultra high end phone will not give you the satisfaction, they tends to be detailed and flat which normally will result in "sibilance" and "low bass". I think colored Close headphones are what you are looking for. Some good Planar will also do the trick, but I think LCD2 gives more bass compare to LCD3.

Cheers~~~~

P.S.
I use to fall into the same trap since my first phone is HD800 with RPX-35:p

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #57 of 61
Quote:
I am not knowledgeable about amps. Just point and pick what is recommended. I am using the setup u advised for my m100. I heard the blue hawaii or something is the best amp. My budget is high so give it to me.

If you wanna bass, try RSA Dark Star. If you wanna over all quality, then try Headamp GSX MKII. If you want an amp that can power very single headphone on the market, then
MalValve Head Amp Three.

I do no recommend tube amps since they are very very hard to play with if you do not know what you are doing and they often run hot and some tubes do not last long~~~~
But if you really want the expensive stuff, then maybe you can go mono blocks.

Both of them require Balance DACs to get the best out of them, so you will need to replace your cable to a balance one, again, the budget one will be Moon Audio "Dragon" series. The mid tier will be ALO and the high end ones are in Japan like DHC. In terms of DAC, the best of best you can get for balance, one of them will be Acousticbuoy DAC 2488. If you wanna go for a budget one, Weiss DAC202 or North Star 192.

P.S.
If I know you do not require portable, I will seriously recommend STAX, I think the SR009 comes with amp combo.

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #58 of 61
Quote:
Err.. You aren't serious about taking HD800's outside everywhere with you right?
the HD800 would be quite a waste without a proper desktop amplifier, then they are open back, huge, not transportable at all and chip easily.. they aren't designed for lots of movement, let alone outside exposure.

Also higher price doesn't always mean better.

most people aren't here because they can spend money, they are here because they care about audio gear. i suggest you tell us what type of sound you are after.

This link may help:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Well... there is the Paper Analog^2. A new portable Tube Amp that's got it's own carrying case... so that might be the best option for portable if you have limitless funds. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #59 of 61
For the amp for your lcd go for the woo audio wa22 if your budget can afford it and get all the upgraded tube options.  And get a balanced cable for your lcd3's from toxic cables or moon audio "dragon" like another headfier recommend, I would stay away from alo balanced cables heard bad reviews on it. The woo audio wa22 will give you a very tubie sound that will reveal every detail.  As long as you put the tubes in the right place you shouldn't have a issue with them burning out anytime soon or any issues. Warning the amp gets very hot and it can burn you if you touch the tubes after a few hours of playing.  With this headphone amp combo the only thing that can truly bet it would be the blue hawii amp and stax sr009 combo which runs around 10kish+.
If you want a amp for your galaxy+m100's you have to consider a form factor because they can turn from something slick to a brick to a nice sized bomb looking brick. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back