New to audiophilia. Questions...
Jun 25, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #17 of 61
Sennheiser Momentum meets the criteria. Also one other thing you need that you don't seem to know, is a close back design so you don't bother others in public and it keeps outside sounds from you.

That much I do know. I like the aesthetics of the 598 a lot. How does the Momentum compare with that? I read a lot of good reviews about the 598, nothing on Momentum yet.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #18 of 61
There are lots of great reviews about the Momentum.

They are two different headphones. I have listened to the Momentum for a few hours and own a HD598 for 2 years.

I can only recommend the HD598 but if you like bass, try them first. They have an amazing soundstage and instrument separation, they can blow you away (dependning on what you are used to). The Momentums are stylish, cool and sound great.

But even as a Sennheiser lover, I would go for these: PSB M4U1 for a slightly lower price, they are for me the better headphone.

Tyll has reviewed the Momentum and put them in his Wall of fame. That is quite something:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-adult-sennheiser-momentum

Cheers,
K

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #20 of 61
Hi evryone,

I am new in this site and this is my first post.
I've read a lot about MH-1C and searched to buy one in india.
But i'm a bit confused. Need your help. Both MH-1C and MDR XB 30 EX are available at same price ( $33) here. Which one should i buy? I am also open for other options. My budget is max $40. I mostly listen soft rock kinda indian songs.
Total Options worth considering are:-

Creative EP 660 $20
Sennheiser CX 180 $25
ATH 300 $29
Logitech UE 200vi $30
Sony MH-1C $33
Denon AHC 260 $33
Sony MDR XB 30 EX $33
Sennheiser CX 215 $34
JBL J33 $35
ATH CK313i $37
Logitech UE 350 $38
JVC HAFR36A $38

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #21 of 61
If money isn't a issue A&k ak120 ($1300ish) + sennheiser hd 800 ($1500) + Alo audio continental v3 ($550ish) + alo audio compact copper 22 ($150) + Alo audio salty pepper custom cable for your sennheiser hd 800 terminated order with 3.5mm terminated and length 4.5-5ft ($550) = The best sound you will get portable for the types of music you like.
And to be clear the continental v3 is a tube amp so it will get warm in your pocket and yes you can not buy the ak120 (save $1300) and use your galaxy but its one of the last steps to take if you want to get pure hifi goodness. And the sennheiser hd 800 is big I mean very big in size.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #22 of 61
If money isn't a issue A&k ak120 ($1300ish) + sennheiser hd 800 ($1500) + Alo audio continental v3 ($550ish) + alo audio compact copper 22 ($150) + Alo audio salty pepper custom cable for your sennheiser hd 800 terminated order with 3.5mm terminated and length 4.5-5ft ($550) = The best sound you will get portable for the types of music you like.
And to be clear the continental v3 is a tube amp so it will get warm in your pocket and yes you can not buy the ak120 (save $1300) and use your galaxy but its one of the last steps to take if you want to get pure hifi goodness. And the sennheiser hd 800 is big I mean very big in size.

That is a buffet of information... What is the difference in amps? I keep hearing about tube amps and plain amps. Is it the drive potential?

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #23 of 61
Yes and no.  Tube amps will always be able to give out a lot of power. While solid state can give out a lot or little. The sennheiser hd 800 needs a lot of power.  My I also say look into the beyerdynamic T1 I believe that would suit you best because it is a fun headphone not a microscope like the sennheiser hd 800.  The t1 makes everything sound good while the hd 800 really brings out the good the bad and the ugly of any recording. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #24 of 61
Also tube amps do add color to your sound so everything sounds better. While solid state is very transparent. If your recording solid state is ideal,if your listening for fun tube is ideal. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #25 of 61
I disagree, the T1 is just as technical minded as the HD800, perhaps falling a shade behind, it has a slightly different sig though, slightly more bass and a touch less treble energy, which is only a good thing.

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #26 of 61
Tube Amps usually warm up the sound and soften the highs a bit. In my opinion, they're much better than Solid State Amps because they have a more 'musical' sound that brings more eargasms to your ear. Solid State amps are fairly neutral, i don't like them that much though. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #27 of 61
Quote:
I disagree, the T1 is just as technical minded as the HD800, perhaps falling a shade behind, it has a slightly different sig though, slightly more bass and a touch less treble energy, which is only a good thing.

I agree. And I believe because of its sound signature it will adapt better to a fun tube amp like the alo contiental v3  then the very picky hd 800 would (still pairs very well but for the "fun" factor I say T1). 

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #28 of 61
Better start a tad lower, or at least not with reference studio grade-ish headphones. Maybe something like the HE-500 and a good amp and DAC or maybe some custom iem's. There are many possibilities. The ultrasone signature pro would probably also be great AND portable.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #29 of 61
I really don't mean to stir the pot but what format is your music in? If you have all of your music in 128 kbps mp3s or AAC files purchased from iTunes you might want to start a bit lower and start converting your music over to at least a higher bit rate Mmp3 and preferably a lossless format such as FLAC.  Also, before you convert or purchase new music make sure it can be played back on whatever device you are planning on using.

I would suggest aiming a bit lower and then learning as you go.

Welcome to head-fi. sorry about your wallet.

Cheers,

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back