New to audiophilia. Questions...
Jun 22, 2013 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Obey The Wub

New Head-Fier
I have a few questions:

1. I want to take my headphones everywhere with me. I plan to use them with my Galaxy S4. From the research I did, I could not find out if I will be getting the most out of my headphones if I will be using them for my phone. I took a look at the audiophile's choice list at headphone.com as well as some amps. I guess what I am trying to ask is: if I buy a Sennheiser HD800 and get a very good amp(I heard Pico(sp?) was the best) will it be a worthwhile investment in comparison to me buying a cheaper headphone? Yes, these top 10s are desired to be stationary, but it is not impossible for portable use, right? For example: Sennheiser HD800 > 1/4-to-1/8 > Pico > Galaxy S4? Wouldn't that work? [Please do not drown me in terms, I only know what low, mid, and high means]

2. What should be my first pair? I prefer the best of the best of the best. Top 0.01% if that is possible. As well as the best portable amp. I do not have a budget, I have a few grand to spend leisurely, so do not be afraid to get expensive with me. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD800 or HD598, the Fostex TH-900, the Audeze LCD-3, the Denon AH-D7100, and the new AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition.

3. I see two different headphones of the same model, why? One is the default name and the other says it is the balanced version and is much more expensive. What does that mean and why does it make such a difference in cost?

About me:

DUBSTEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... And everything else that is good music. I listen to everything, to be honest... Rap, Metal, Trance, literally everything except Country, Classical, etc... Any headphones that will play any and all music genres perfect?

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 61
Even the jds labs O2 can drive the HD800 verry nice. This combo i extremly neutral and thats why some might call it too bright. If you have that issue a tube amp is the only sollution, but then you still have the problem of transportability.

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 61
Err.. You aren't serious about taking HD800's outside everywhere with you right?
the HD800 would be quite a waste without a proper desktop amplifier, then they are open back, huge, not transportable at all and chip easily.. they aren't designed for lots of movement, let alone outside exposure.

Also higher price doesn't always mean better.

most people aren't here because they can spend money, they are here because they care about audio gear. i suggest you tell us what type of sound you are after.

This link may help:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 61
Audiophilia makes it sound so dirty.....I like it 
atsmile.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 61
Err.. You aren't serious about taking HD800's outside everywhere with you right?
the HD800 would be quite a waste without a proper desktop amplifier, then they are open back, huge, not transportable at all and chip easily.. they aren't designed for lots of movement, let alone outside exposure.

Also higher price doesn't always mean better.

most people aren't here because they can spend money, they are here because they care about audio gear. i suggest you tell us what type of sound you are after.

This link may help:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

I assume your response stands for all of the headphones I listed, correct?
How about the HD598s? I read a lot of good things about them. In response to what I want: I want something that is full sized, portable, and drives all genres of sound. But if I really did have to make a choice, then I would say I wanted a full sized portable headphone for dubstep.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 61
Sennheiser Momentum meets the criteria. Also one other thing you need that you don't seem to know, is a close back design so you don't bother others in public and it keeps outside sounds from you.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 61
Quote:
A Pico can't drive it?

It's not a question of whether a Pico or O2 can drive it - both may do an admirable job of amplification.  However, there's more to it than that.  Suffice to say that damping factors, impedance matching, etc., enter into the picture when you're talking about investing $1000's in a headphone.  You should never enter into such an investment unless you are prepared to provide matching investments in amplifications and sourcing.  Only when you find suitably matched components are you going to really reap the benefits of such an investment.  It's not a trifle, unless you have money to burn.

The HD800, in particular, has a history of harshness in the highs when paired with many amplifiers.  It's why a lot of people suggest a tube amp, but the reasons are probably rooted in some impedance/damping factor relationship (as in lower damping factor, not higher), rather than in any cliché that tubes amps are "warm."

Further, jmsaxon69 makes a valid point.  There's probably no other headphone than the HD800 that projects more sound outside of the headphone than inside.  You can hear people auditioning an HD800 and marvel at the fact that they're not destroying their ears.
wink.gif
  That's because the sound levels radiating to the outside environment from those headphones may be greater than the sound levels inside the headphones.  JMHO, but they're not something that's going to win you friends when listening to them out in public. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 61
Have you seen this review thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13
You might also want to check out the High-end Audio Forum section of head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/f/113/high-end-audio-forum

As for the Galaxy S4, did Samsung improve the DAC software implementation over the Galaxy S3 and Note 2? If not, look into the custom Android kernels that perfect the DAC implementation (might not be out yet for the S4). Lot of people doing that with the S3 and Note 2. Then you just need a good amp.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 61
Have you seen this review thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13
You might also want to check out the High-end Audio Forum section of head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/f/113/high-end-audio-forum

As for the Galaxy S4, did Samsung improve the DAC software implementation over the Galaxy S3 and Note 2? If not, look into the custom Android kernels that perfect the DAC implementation (might not be out yet for the S4). Lot of people doing that with the S3 and Note 2. Then you just need a good amp.

Would you explain how this works and guide me how this is done, exactly?

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 61
I want to warn you about couple effects of your best of the best approach: In audio gear what is best for most might not be the best for you. If you read the reviews you will see even the worst products gets couple positive reviews and also even the best ones get couple negative ones. For you the best thing would be going to a dealer and testing all the gear before the purchase. Especially considering you have a really high budget. Finding the sound signature you like will take some time.

Secondly, throwing such great budget in for the beginning will strip you off from the pleasure of discovering and upgrading. Your ears are also instruments and you can develop them with proper training. First try to find the most optimal for your ears and try to upgrade on the way :)

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #15 of 61
the HD598 are not great for dubstep.. with your "thousands to spend" why not get 2 systems

Ultrasone Dj pro or similar bassy closedback for outside and a open flagship + top tier amp+DAC for indoor usage, its what id do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back