New to audiophile world. Some noob questions
Jul 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Umyd

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I ordered my first high end headphones. The V Moda Crossfade m100.
I rip my CDs as mp3s at 320kbps. Is this good enough quality to utilize the full potential of m100 or do you advise me to keep it FLAC?
When it comes to the player. I own a Galaxy Note 2. Do you think it's powerful enough to run the m100 at full throttle or do you think I'll need a specialized player? Some are even using mobile amplifiers... Will I need an amplifiers even when I get, let's say, a recent Sony Walkman?

Thanx in advance guys, as you see I'm completely lost
smile.png

Any suggestions are welcome,

Umyd

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 5
It should run fine straight out of your phone. An amp can help a little, and might be good to get if you plan on upgrading headphones to ones that need an amp.

320 kb/s MP3 should be transparent, and sound the same to you as lossless. With 320 it should be so for any setup. I like to rip to FLAC so if I find a CODEC that is better than what I want to use for portable devices, I don't have to dig out my CDs and can quickly encode. For example, you will get somewhat better quality for the bitrate with OGG Vorbis or AAC (among others), and can have a smaller file while still being audibly transparent. 196 kb/s will probably be plenty good using those CODECS. On your PC you might as well keep the FLACs around and use those unless storage is a serious problem. Lossy is for portables.

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanx a lot bud,

It seems 320kbps mp3s will be the standard to me if it sounds (almost) as good as lossless formats.
Speaking of the hardware: if I've understood you right, the V Moda m100 isn't too demanding, my Note 2 should be able to power it without the need for an amplifier?

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 5
  Thanx a lot bud,

It seems 320kbps mp3s will be the standard to me if it sounds (almost) as good as lossless formats.
Speaking of the hardware: if I've understood you right, the V Moda m100 isn't too demanding, my Note 2 should be able to power it without the need for an amplifier?

The M100 was designed for use with mobile devices, and as such, should be no problem when driven out of your Note 2. They do seem to improve with amplification, but I cannot expand on that subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back