New to Audio
Apr 30, 2016 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Awsomethesecond

New Head-Fier
What does a audio begginer/noob need to start? I am debating of which headphones to get, i will be using for gaming, with the ModMic or BoomPro, the ATH M50x with ModMic and Shure 840 pads, or Sennheiser HD 589.
I know i need a DAC, a amp, some speakers, and a small mix board? What else do i need? I have 3 monitor gaming setup, that i will be using it with.

Sorry im a idiot

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 14
Get a Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 and your audiophile headphone journey should be done.

If it's too expensive try to get it used or refurbished.

May 1, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 14
I know i need a DAC, a amp, some speakers, and a small mix board? What else do i need? I have 3 monitor gaming setup, that i will be using it with.

Sorry im a idiot

Wait... what do you mean by that? Unless the audio from your sound card is of unusually poor quality, you don't need any of those with the headphones you mentioned. Those are easy to drive after all. An amp might be necessary if you want higher end headphones that are not as easy to drive, but even then I can think of alternatives that do not require an amp. The weakest link is always the headphones, so spending lots on a DAC and an amp doesn't always make sense. I can not even imagine what you would need the mix board for. If you want to get into audio editing, there is a lot more you would need to know before you get a (small?) mix board.

If you want good speakers, get second hand bookshelves from Wharfedale, Dali, Tannoy, B&W or Mission (I'm sure I'm missing other good brands, but this should be enough for now). Second hand bookshelves are great value for money.
These bookshelves can usually take up to 100W RMS (that means they can go very loud) and for that you need an amplifier that can deliver what you need. There are many cheap class D amplifiers from China nowadays, but if you want better sound quality and have the space for it, get a vintage integrated amplifier. These are often class A or B and even though they are much heavier and less efficiënt, the sound is better.

As for which headphones to get? I am in favour of the HD598. Still, my recommendation could change because it also depends on your budget. How much do you want to spend on audio?

May 2, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 14
200$ for the headphones, im ordering from amazon. So i do need a amp, but for the speakers not the headphones. Can you recommend a amp? Or a amp, dac combo?

Then the HD598 is a good choice for headphones.

If you want to buy new, then perhaps active speakers (speakers with built-in amp) are better for you. Something like the Audioengine A5+.

May 2, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 14
Save up for these JBL LSR 305: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305

Might even see them on special close to memorial day weekend. They have been down to $250 a pair. Research them, and you'll find tons of people commenting on how they are one of the best for the money.

May 2, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 14
Save up for these JBL LSR 305: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305

Might even see them on special close to memorial day weekend. They have been down to $250 a pair. Research them, and you'll find tons of people commenting on how they are one of the best for the money.

I sold a msrp $8000 speaker and replaced them with the JBL305. These things are a miracle of the universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back