New to audio bliss. Thinking of Grado 225s, what else?
Jun 26, 2007 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mizou

New Head-Fier
Hey all. Brand spanking new baby to this audiophile world. I've been lurking for about a week, trying to read up and get as much info as I can on what would be good for me. I've decided that for my main genres of musical preference (Rock, metal, punk, etc.) that Grados would probably be a good bet. Through reading, I've seen that the SR225s seem to be a great midpoint in price and performance, and certainly something I can save a few weeks for. And they'll most certainly be better than my Sennheiser HD202s (which I actually think are pretty decent right now).

My main concerns now are.. what else do I need? I've tried researching amping.. but haven't gotten far. I know that I don't absolutely need an amp for these 225s, but would it really truly help a lot? I'm also going to pick up some KSC75s for portable use.. would it help with those too? I mainly listen to music through my iPod (oh God, it's gonna suck re-ripping my collection into a lossless format to take advantage of the new gear.. but a necessary evil I guess), but I also have an old Koss CD player with a line out that's treated me well through the years. Lastly for amps.. what's a good, relatively cheap amp that would perform well (Hornet is out of the equation, for example)? I don't need bells and whistles right now, just something that will nicely drive my phones to audio nirvana.

I'm also wondering about accessories. A lot of people here have talked about 414 (or was it 404? Something like that) pads, bowl pads, comfies, taping, changing all sorts of things on the Grados to help sound. I'm one of those incessant tweakers, trying all sorts of things until I find what sounds best (and even then, trying new things to compare). What are some of the most popular pads/mods (and links to the mods, and to stores with the pads) that I would need/want to start off with? I don't want to have these sweet babies in, then go "Hmm, I wonder if it'll sound better with ___" and have to wait a week or two to try.

..Lastly. If you guys would be so inclined and generous.. Links to places that have what I need, preferably at the best prices?

Thanks to all of you in advance, and yes.. my wallet will be very sorry.

Jun 26, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to head-fi... and yes your wallet will be sorry!
smily_headphones1.gif

You could try the wizard on my website, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

Check out the head-fi sponsors on the right of this page for great places to buy headphones.

I have a PPA (which is for sale), but I don't find amps really help that much unless they headphones are really hard to drive. The main advantage I find they have is they have a hardware volume control, which is easier than messing with the windows volume control.

Jun 26, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 9
I think amps really improve the sound, specially the bass. Even on easy to drive headphones, such as the Grados.
The SR-225 seems to be one of the favorites headphones from head-fi. If you can get it as your first headphone, you'll make a lot of people jellous.
Keep in mind that a good source is highly recommended.
I suggest you a cheap portable amp to match with the SR-225. For example the PAV2V2 ($60 shipped). You can take advantage of your CD player line out or you need to buy an Ipod line-out dock (You can PM TURBO or check ALO website for that).
You're in right way ...
icon10.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 9
IMO its always better to start with something low end before moving up the chain, and grados... well I wouldn't buy one before having an audition even though they seem perfect for your musical preferences.

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Just a few things..

Tachikoma: I understand the value of trying things out beforehand.. But as with many things on Guam, I've never seen (and I've been looking recently) or heard of anywhere or anyone here that has/sells Grados, Beyers, or other better than K-Mart headphones. So sampling is out of the question. Also because of my location, getting a lower model and upgrading a few times is actually less cost effective and convenient in the long run than getting a decent set early on, and selling if I don't like them, hence my choice of the SR-225s.

epaludo: Thanks for the recommendation, and the words of wisdom. Problem is, I can't find that amp you're speaking of. If you (or someone else) could simplify it greatly for my n00bish self.. Brand, model number, link to it, etc... I'd greatly appreciate it. And if anybody else has any more low-cost amp solutions for me, I'd appreciate it as well.

Lastly.. Those accessories, nobody's mentioned them yet. Where on our list of sponsors (or otherwise, if that's allowed) should I go to pick up extra pads and such, and which ones should I get? Should I just go down the line of Grado pads, as well as those 414 yellows? Or are there a few specific ones that are popular that I should get, then decide from there? Thanks again for all the help.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 9
"Pad Rolling" can be fun! They are the easiest way to get just the right combination of comfort/performance out there.

For instance I use reversed and modded 414s on my MS-1 and bowls on my MS2i. So it varies from ears to ears and phones to phone!

My ears are older so that may have something to do with it. The SR-225 of course comes with bowls, so that's a good start! The Grado "flats" are the only relatively expensive set but the yellow Sennheiser HD414s and even Grado "comfies" are nicely inexpensive and each has a nice and loyal following.

As previously mentioned; any of the Head-Fi sponsors are a good place to buy the Grado pads, and they help to keep this evil place in business and our wallets continuously under attack!
very_evil_smiley.gif
But TTVJ is the only place on the planet I'm aware of that sells the flats. The 414s are sold at a number of mail-order vendors. I bought mine at B&H photo about a year and a half ago, so I don't know if they currently have them in stock. It may take a bit of on-line searching to find the right place, but they can be found for something like five bucks a set.

Happy Hunting!

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 9
I would start with an Alessandro MS1. That is great starting point in the Grado/Aless house. Its a better value than the Sr60 IMHO. Grado is very unusual. I have owned a variety of Grados and Alessandros, the upgrade of moving through the line is not pronounced. Its noticeable but the biggest change in sound comes from pad swapping. With Grado your basically paying for better made/matched drivers and different driver housing material. With all that rambling I believe the MS2i and SR325i to be the sweet spot of price, contruction and sound quality in the family. YMMV.

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 9
Haha, yes. I am starting with SR60s
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back