New to audio and need advice on purchasing some better speakers
Mar 20, 2016 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Shingyboy

New Head-Fier
So after a bit of lurking I have figured that my Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers are probably really poor, I am looking to upgrade right now but I have no idea where to start or what to even consider.

Right now I have a Creative Sound Blaster ZxR and some AKG K702s plugged into them. One thing that confuses me greatly is do I need a amp and a dac? and what is the difference between both. Can I plug in a amp and a dac into my current sound card and would there be any point in getting one.

I mean I would like to keep it as simple as possible so if there are some decent quality 2.1 speakers out there that I can get in the UK that I can plug right into my sound card with little headache I would not mind that. Otherwise what sort of options am I looking at in terms of having to purchase extra equipment to go along with the speakers?

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 25
Check the website AVforum, it's located in the UK, should be able to point out the best deals in Europe.

Do you have a budget for the speakers (studio monitors)?

The SB-ZxR will be fine as a DAC for whatever studio monitors you get.
Just connect the SB-ZxR's Front Speaker connection, to the studio monitors.

For good 2.0 audio quality (but no sub-woofer)
Might check out the JBL LSR305 studio monitors, 135 Euros each (so 270 Euros for the pair).
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jbl_lsr_305.htm?ref=search_rslt_jbl+lsr305_322770_0

If you do not want to budget that much and still want a 2.1 setup.
Try to find a used Klipsch Promedia 2.1, here in the USA the used ones sell for under $100 (USD).

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 25
So for better quality it is best to go without a subwoofer? will the sound lack bass in that regard? Those speakers you recommended would that be regarded high end at all? I do feel it is a bit steep for me in terms of how much I am going to pay but I think it could be something to consider, would it be classed as low tier or mid tier in the grand scheme of things?

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 25
  So for better quality it is best to go without a sub-woofer? will the sound lack bass in that regard? Those speakers you recommended would that be regarded high end at all? I do feel it is a bit steep for me in terms of how much I am going to pay but I think it could be something to consider, would it be classed as low tier or mid tier in the grand scheme of things?

Here is a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2 studio monitors, 209 Euros for the pair.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_bx5_d2.htm
For 229 Euros, get them with stands
http://www.thomann.de/gb/m_audio_bx5_d2stand_bundle.htm
M-Audio no longer makes the BX5 D2, so they are going for a close out price.
The newer version is the BX5 Carbon, guessing they are the same on the inside, as the BX5 D2, just a new outer shell.

I use generic knock offs of these monitors and I like them.
Monoprice 5" studio monitors (only sold in the USA)

I was using a Klipsch Promedia 2.1, before I got the Monoprice 5".
I much prefer the better over all sound quality of the 2.0 , then the so so quality thump of the 2.1 with a sub-woofer.

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 25
That is a little bit more affordable for me actually, I think that could be a good price. Are the stands even worth it at all?

I found them on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-BX5-Single-Production-Recording/dp/B00JNC85Q2

It seems like an okay price for 2 of them, what are the BX8 D2s? something to consider again?

In terms of the 2 sets of studio monitors you have recommended to me how much better would the LSR305 be over the BX5 D2s? Would you say it is worth the price difference?

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 25
  That is a little bit more affordable for me actually, I think that could be a good price. Are the stands even worth it at all?
I found them on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-BX5-Single-Production-Recording/dp/B00JNC85Q2
It seems like an okay price for 2 of them, what are the BX8 D2s? something to consider again?
In terms of the 2 sets of studio monitors you have recommended to me how much better would the LSR305 be over the BX5 D2s? Would you say it is worth the price difference?

I would assume the BX5 would make a noticeable upgrade, over the Altec Lansing,
so I think you will be happy enough with the BX5 D2.
I think the BX8 are for something difference, then for sitting on either side of your computer monitor, so they would be overkill.

Are the JBL LSR305 worth the difference, over the BX5 D2?
The BX5 D2 use to sell for around the same price as the LSR305, so I'm assuming they are close to the same audio quality.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 25

I would assume the BX5 would make a noticeable upgrade, over the Altec Lansing,
so I think you will be happy enough with the BX5 D2.
I think the BX8 are for something difference, then for sitting on either side of your computer monitor, so they would be overkill.

Are the JBL LSR305 worth the difference, over the BX5 D2?
The BX5 D2 use to sell for around the same price as the LSR305, so I'm assuming they are close to the same audio quality.

Thanks a lot for your help, I think I am pretty close to getting the BX5 D2s to be honest. Is there any other products you could recommend that might be better for around a similar price or just a bit more expensive?

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 25
  Thanks a lot for your help, I think I am pretty close to getting the BX5 D2s to be honest. Is there any other products you could recommend that might be better for around a similar price or just a bit more expensive?

Mot familiar enough with studio monitors that are sold in your area, to say what would be better.
I'm fairly sure the BX5 D2 are the best monitors you could get, for the 209 Euros.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 25

Mot familiar enough with studio monitors that are sold in your area, to say what would be better.
I'm fairly sure the BX5 D2 are the best monitors you could get, for the 209 Euros.

I am from the United Kingdom so all I did was take the model number of what you showed me and just put it into google. If you have any ideas please let me know I will check to see if it is sold in the UK. But yeah I am thinking that I most likely will go with the BX5 D2s. In regards to connecting them to the Sound Blaster ZxR will I have to buy any extra cables to make it fit?

Just out of interest if I was want to improve my setup at all would buying a amp or a dac and plug it into my Sound Blaster ZxR actually help? in regards to my headphones as well.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 25
  I am from the United Kingdom so all I did was take the model number of what you showed me and just put it into google. If you have any ideas please let me know I will check to see if it is sold in the UK. But yeah I am thinking that I most likely will go with the BX5 D2s. In regards to connecting them to the Sound Blaster ZxR will I have to buy any extra cables to make it fit?

Just out of interest if I was want to improve my setup at all would buying a amp or a dac and plug it into my Sound Blaster ZxR actually help? in regards to my headphones as well.

The Essence STX has a fairly decent headphone amplifier, naybe when your ready to spend $400 or more, for a new DAC/amp, does it become worth it.
i believe you would use an RCA plug to dual Mono 1/4" plug cable, to connect the ZxR's RCA jacks to the BX5 D2's TRS jacks.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 25

The Essence STX has a fairly decent headphone amplifier, naybe when your ready to spend $400 or more, for a new DAC/amp, does it become worth it.
i believe you would use an RCA plug to dual Mono 1/4" plug cable, to connect the ZxR's RCA jacks to the BX5 D2's TRS jacks.

Are those standard plugs and cables that would come with the studio monitors or would I have to purchase them separately?

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 25
  Are those standard plugs and cables that would come with the studio monitors or would I have to purchase them separately?

The quality studio monitors would not come with cables (usually)

Here is the type of cable

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 25

The quality studio monitors would not come with cables (usually)

Here is the type of cable

Okay that seems simple enough, I want to ask you about these studio monitors as well https://www.fairdealmusic.co.uk/m-audio-bx5-carbon-active-monitor-speakers-pair.html?gclid=COW4ndax08sCFbgy0wod2ZkG8g

So they are the BX5 Carbon's and are only about £10 more expensive, is it worth that price difference?

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 25
  Okay that seems simple enough, I want to ask you about these studio monitors as well https://www.fairdealmusic.co.uk/m-audio-bx5-carbon-active-monitor-speakers-pair.html?gclid=COW4ndax08sCFbgy0wod2ZkG8g

So they are the BX5 Carbon's and are only about £10 more expensive, is it worth that price difference?

The Carbon comes with a acoustic space switch, that the D2 does not have
They both have 98% the same specs, but might as well spend the extra 10 for the Carbon.

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #15 of 25

The Carbon comes with a acoustic space switch, that the D2 does not have
They both have 98% the same specs, but might as well spend the extra 10 for the Carbon.

My dad thinks I am going in insane and is saying that these sorts of speakers are not suited to me as I just play games, listen to music and watch movies. Be honest would these studio monitors be way overkill for these purposes? Also what about these ones http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mackie-CR4-inch-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B00OZ9NNCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1458655221&sr=1-1&keywords=mackie+cr4 they are a bit cheaper than the m-audio ones but how much of a drop in quality would they be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back