New to amps, need to power an AD700
Jul 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JMT391

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I just ordered the ATH-AD700s, and would like an amp to go with it. My budget for the headphones was $200, and since the AD700s are about $90, I will have the rest of my budget (about $100) to spend on an amp. My biggest problem is that I do not want to overdo it - meaning that I obviously wouldn't spend $500 on an amp to power $90 cans, but will anything I get for about $100 be enough to justify the purchase?

I'll be running this out of a PC soundcard (don't know which yet).

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all, I just ordered the ATH-AD700s, and would like an amp to go with it. My budget for the headphones was $200, and since the AD700s are about $90, I will have the rest of my budget (about $100) to spend on an amp. My biggest problem is that I do not want to overdo it - meaning that I obviously wouldn't spend $500 on an amp to power $90 cans, but will anything I get for about $100 be enough to justify the purchase?

I'll be running this out of a PC soundcard (don't know which yet).

Having just received a pair of these myself, I'm thinking in a different direction. Getting some fairly nice home amplification that will do good things for this headphone as well as scale well for future headphone purchases.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having just received a pair of these myself, I'm thinking in a different direction. Getting some fairly nice home amplification that will do good things for this headphone as well as scale well for future headphone purchases.

See, I wish I could think in that direction, but my problem is that I will be using this setup for college dorm listening so I do not want to break the bank on this for security reasons.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 13
I don't think getting an amp for the AD700 is worth it. It's an enjoyable headphone but it is what it is - a budget headphone. It's better if you spend all your money toward a better headphone instead (preferably used here on FS forum). You'll get much more improvement that way.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 13
Well, in my case, I generally don't get enough $ at one time to afford an amplifier and a higher tier headphone at once, so I'd like to get the amp first so that when I get that headphone, it will be driven well (and, in the meantime, the one I have will be better).

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 13
I don't think they would benefit much from an amp. I would save the money and save for your next pair of cans.

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 13
I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. My next pair would benefit from an amp, and I want it to have whatever it needs at the time of purchase. Make sense?

In other words, I'm not getting an amp for the AD700, but it'd be cool if it works well with that phone as well. If my current pair would benefit from a DAC, then I'm sure there are some AMP/DAC combos that could be recommended to kill two proverbial birds with one stone, right?

Your advice is probably pretty good for OP.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 13
I would recommend a decent amp/dac combo. I recently obtained an ibasso d1 dac/amp on the FS forum and it does well with my low impedence cans (ad700's included). It's semiportable, has optical (i.e. for PS3 output) and USB inputs, and can function as a standalone amp if need be. I got it at your price point, too. You should keep your eyes open on the FS forums. Something like the Zero would be a possible desktop solution, but I don't have any experience with it.

Like others have said, these cans really sound great without any amplification. I have an Fiio E5 that I've tried with mine, and I don't think there's really any improvement, but it will help with the bass boost (to me it sounds a bit sloppy, though, and I don't use it). Anyway, you may want to get the headphones first and see if you feel any need for improvement, then go from there.

JJ

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for all your replies - so I guess I will not be buying a dedicated headphone amp for the AD700s. I will, however, look into something like the ibasso D1. Somebody has recommended to me the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card because it is a DAC/AMP that I could also use for gaming (music is a priority, but I game pretty heavily as well).

What do you guys think? I've been reading around on it and it seems good.

EDIT: Right now, I have an oldschool Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all your replies - so I guess I will not be buying a dedicated headphone amp for the AD700s. I will, however, look into something like the ibasso D1. Somebody has recommended to me the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card because it is a DAC/AMP that I could also use for gaming (music is a priority, but I game pretty heavily as well).

What do you guys think? I've been reading around on it and it seems good.

EDIT: Right now, I have an oldschool Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

I have the Essence and it's a great option for your situation. The ST is coming out so I'm wondering if the STX is going to drop in price. You might want to wait and see. Even at the current price the STX is a great value - you get a decent DAC and amp in one with gaming effects.

Plus, it's hard to steal unless someone takes your whole desktop.

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfourc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Essence and it's a great option for your situation. The ST is coming out so I'm wondering if the STX is going to drop in price. You might want to wait and see. Even at the current price the STX is a great value - you get a decent DAC and amp in one with gaming effects.

Plus, it's hard to steal unless someone takes your whole desktop.

Ha, I hope nobody takes the whole desktop. I still am not 100% sure about the desktop, but if i do build one, the STX is definitely an option. It seems that it was designed with audiophiles in mind. If I do end up having a laptop, I'll use some type of USB DAC/amp (like that ibasso D1)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back