New to amps - help!
Nov 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ludo41

New Head-Fier
I recently ordered a pair of Phonak Audéo PFE112 and now I'm curious about amping. I haven't gotten them yet, but from reading around I've heard about equal on the sides of whether amping them or not is worth doing. So my question is, does using an amp with these make a noticeable difference? And if so what portable amps would you recommend?

I would be using it with my iPod and MacBook Pro. Oh and I'll most likely be using the black audio filters, although like I said, I haven't actually gotten them yet so I haven't tried the different ones. On a side note there.. are green ones worth trying? :)

Not wanting to spend much on an amp either.. Especially since it will be my first one and kind of a trying it out type thing. Maybe like $30 tops or so. Thanks for the help!

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I recently ordered a pair of Phonak Audéo PFE112 and now I'm curious about amping. I haven't gotten them yet, but from reading around I've heard about equal on the sides of whether amping them or not is worth doing. So my question is, does using an amp with these make a noticeable difference? And if so what portable amps would you recommend?

I would be using it with my iPod and MacBook Pro. Oh and I'll most likely be using the black audio filters, although like I said, I haven't actually gotten them yet so I haven't tried the different ones. On a side note there.. are green ones worth trying?
smily_headphones1.gif

Not wanting to spend much on an amp either.. Especially since it will be my first one and kind of a trying it out type thing. Maybe like $30 tops or so. Thanks for the help!

An external amp might improve the sound and it might make it louder. There's no certainty either way.

If you want to try an amp without spending much money, the FiiO E5 is ~$20 from Amazon. It produces very good sound especially for the money. It small enough to carry with you. However, it doesn't have a lot of gain or power. I really liked mine while I used it.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm guess adding an amp like the Fiio E5 will make almost no difference.
I tried using a Fiio E6 with my Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip for about a week, then went back to plugging headphones straight in the Clip Zip.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I'm guess adding an amp like the Fiio E5 will make almost no difference.
I tried using a Fiio E6 with my Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip for about a week, then went back to plugging headphones straight in the Clip Zip.

The only change I could hear reliably with the E5 was an increase volume. For some video files, I really need it.

Still, it didn't cost much to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back