New to amplification (HD580-related)
Sep 14, 2005 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vellox

New Head-Fier
Well I've been using my 580's for about two years and have had nothing but good things to say about these cans. They're used primarily as my sound system for my pc (Audigy 1 (I know, yuck), mp3's encoded in alt preset extreme and occasional DVD viewing) though recently I had to switch to a pair of Senn PX-100's due to the cable on the 580's producing static in the left channel. I've been generally impressed with the sound quality of the PX-100's, and the volume was much higher than the 580's. Today I tried my 580's again since I was going to purchase a stock replacement cable for them, though I found them to be quite "soft" compared to the px-100's, and had poorer bass response. This could be due the source, but also I have read they sound a lot better when driven by an amp. So my question is which amp is best suited to my setup? I don't want to spend more than around $200 canadian. Would it also be wise to upgrade to a better cable?

Sep 14, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd suggest something like a MINT, PIMETA, or perhaps a used PPA or M3. All are great amps and since you can buy them from private DIYers you can get them for cheaper than commercial amps like headroom or emmeline.

Something like THIS PIMETA would probably suit you well. It seems like the builder used all good-quality parts, and its wall-powered. Case looks a bit fragile though...

Otherwise, shop around the for sale forums for the above-mentioned amps.

Sep 17, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks for the suggestions Pork. Is there anywhere I can get more info on the PPA or M3 (search doesn't work too well for under 3 letter words)? I should also mention that I'd prefer an amp that can be hooked up to AC as I don't plan to use it anywhere but for my pc.

Sep 17, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 7
Both PPA and M3 in "bare-bones" forms are going to cost more than $200 canadian. If this is your strict budget, you'd have to look into the Pimeta.

Sep 17, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by vellox
thanks for the suggestions Pork. Is there anywhere I can get more info on the PPA or M3 (search doesn't work too well for under 3 letter words)? I should also mention that I'd prefer an amp that can be hooked up to AC as I don't plan to use it anywhere but for my pc.

The PIMETA and PPA are both available at Tangent's site: www.tangentsoft.net.

I don't know the site for the M3, but it is morsel's baby, so try a PM.

Sep 18, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm currently using a Pimeta that I built myself and a pair of Senn 580's.

It has plenty of power to drive them.

2x OPA637 for L/R, OPA627 for ground, single 634 buffer on each channel and ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back