New Tidal User: How to Get The Most From Old Musical Fidelity MH1 DAC?
Apr 2, 2020 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jazz1

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all! I finally decided to try out Tidal. Only popped for "High" but thinking of going to Tidal HiFi.

Right now the sampling rate is coming in at 44Khz. Is there something I should be doing on the iMac to improve this? Would going to Tidal HiFi be worth it with my equipment? I do have some AIFF files ripped over the years. Buried somewhere on my iMac. Maybe need a third party app. to play these.

I apologize in advance as I've kind of taken music for granted until the Pandemic hit. Yes, I have old equipment, and no I can't buy new hardware or my spouse will kill me :wink:

Thanks for any help. Everyone stay safe!

Gear:

Late 2015 iMac Using Optical Output
MF MH1 DAC
PSAudio GCHA
Audeze LCD-2
Sennheiser HD-650
Bowers & Wilkins P9 (To ears they actually sound better via my iPad and AudioQuest Dragon Red vs. my desktop set up)
Master's and Dynamics MW-60 (May try cable just for fun)

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 3
In Macs, I believe if you search for "Midi" you'll get an app that you can then change the sampling rate. In Windows, I found that in the amp's property settings you could change that, but I recall macs are a little different. What always bugged me though, was my dac/amp was capable of higher sampling rates than why the operating system would allow, and I couldn't figure out how to get more. I had dsd files that I played a much lower sampling rate as a result. But when I played the same file through my dap it sounded better. My dap was the Questyle qpr2 and since that's no more, my next dap will need to be able to play tidal in all it's glory since I couldn't do that with my mac or surface pro.

I use the Tidal Master to get the best quality. Since I couldn't maximize the sampling rate to what I wanted on my laptops, it was probably too much. But using the tidal app on a decent dap would be ideal- at least for me.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 3
Many thanks! I did open the Midi app. on the iMac. Under digital out I went from "2 channel 24 bit" to "2 channel 32-bit Float 96.0kHz. Heck, I don't know what it all means. But the DAC did respond as the incoming sample rate LED has moved to 96kHz. So far no "steam" coming out of the old DAC. Dire Straights is sounding rich! I don't know if it is my imagination or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back