New 'table, first impressions
Apr 24, 2005 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ScrapIron

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I finally caved and got a Sota Comet, Grado Ref Platinum cartridge, and a Grado PH-1. Thanks to gastwa for some components and lots of advice (keep it coming!).

Let me say that it sounds great. Even though the cart has about 10 hours on it, the sound is very nice. I probably need to dial in the cart as well (not probably, but for sure). Unlimited tweaking...bonus.

I listened to the same albums at a friends (Rega P2, Denon cart, Parasound phono amp) and I got lean, tight, fast, and IMHO very one dimensional sound- flat, but in the vertical way. He has his system setup more for HT. On my system I get more depth, soundstage, and an analog "feel"... texture.

Compared to my CDP, the TT gives a little more "impression" to the music, more.. hmm.. just a little more something so far. Know that I love my CDP's sound.

I see why Todd (and others) recommends the VPI 16.5 cleaner... those clicks and pops almost get in the way. Since I'm rediscovering my collection, they don't annoy me much... yet. I think my wallet just passed out.
tongue.gif

-Scrap

Apr 26, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Nice setup!

The VPI cleaner works well, but some vinyls, especially older ones will have some surface noise even when clean.

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 7
congrats on the new TT.

a lot of rituals to play a record huh?

a cleaning machine is a must have - i only have about 50 records but i find the cleaning machine a huge part of my tt set up.

my favorite part is going to a thrift store / flea market and finding records you really like that are in mint condition .

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 7
Enjoy the tt. I miss mine. I hope to be back in vinyl in another month or two. Definitely pic up a cleaner. As daycart1 said, old vinyl will still have some surface noise even when clean. Most of the time the surface noise didn't bother me.

May 1, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the tips.. record cleaner moves up high in the list. I did pick up:

Zerodust- wow, the dirt it took off (already) was amazing.
Shure SFG-2 guage- I was light, too light.
downloaded a protracter- I was pretty darn close already (kudos to me).
Cardas Sweep record- Hehe.. I had my ICs switched to the amp, Doh! Thanks George.

Re-played some albums and everything has gained a quieter background, more sense of space and depth! Having the left and right channels correct has helped.
smily_headphones1.gif

So not too much alignment or fussing around, but greater overall sound by spending just 45 minutes tinkering and buying some tools. Well worth it.

Looking at replacing the headshell leads (probably Cardas).. gotta do the little stuff first.

On to more jazz... ahhh, sweet jazz...

May 2, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 7
Having just jumped into vinyl with a modest newbie setup (rebuilt Thorens TD160/Alphason Opal/Grado Prestige Silver/Radioshack little rat - I know I know...), I find that vinyl has something that even my crazy modded cd player can't extract from my shiny discs. I only have about 20 lp's or so, but some of them are classics and sound amazing (Paul Simon's Graceland for instance). Specifically with Graceland, I find that there is this 3d imaging and a truly holographic sound I can't get from the redbook disc. This is through my modded Shanling through an Ear HP4 to RS-1's. Meanwhile my analogue setup using the RA-1 and RS-1 can outperform my digital system in some ways. I suppose once I really get going into better equipement, I will truly see a return in sound alone.

I think the idea of a record cleaning machine is a good one and I look forward to some day owning one. For now I am looking at various solutions in a bottle (pun intended).

I am thinking about an upgrade path. I realize my phono is by far the limiting factor for now, but I wonder about what my next step should be. The arm? the table? a better cart?

I have limited funds so I would have to choose wisely and upgrade gradually over time.

Congrats on the new table! I love the analogue world!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back