new system suggestions appreciated; budget $3k
Dec 21, 2003 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4
I’ve been doing research in preparation for buying a new system, but there are a lot of options within my budget ($3,000us) and without the ability to audition anything, I’m sort of flying blind. So I thought I would see what sort of suggestions people had.
First of all, I currently have W100s and W1000s and a METa42 amplifier. I don’t have a source at the moment, so I will definitely need to pick one up. I do have an Ack! dAck! coming, but it won’t get here until February. Assuming I like the dAck! then I will just need a decent transport, but I’ve primarily been looking at the Jolida JD100; from what I’ve read it sounds like a good match for the W1000. I also will probably want a new amp to replace the Meta, as it wouldn’t cost too much too upgrade at least to a PPA.
As far as music and taste, probably upwards of ninety percent of my music is female vocalists, with the rest being a pretty eclectic mix. So, midrange performance is pretty high on my list while the frequency extremes are less important. Basically I like things to sound nicely balanced and musical, whatever that means
tongue.gif
My primary concern is getting good CD playback; I also wouldn’t mind trying out some tubes, either in the source or amp, to see what they’re all about. I do not expect this to be the last equipment I ever buy, I’m just trying to get to a good starting point before I graduate. Another consideration, albeit a minor one, is that this setup will have to travel with me next year when I move (hopefully to Japan) so I should avoid something too sprawling or delicate.
With all that in mind, give me a few suggestions; either for a completely new system, or one based around the ATs. I’m interested in seeing what people would do within my budget and why, so throw out some ideas and I’ll see what strikes my fancy
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks everybody

Dec 22, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 4
Well I spent a little more, but in a similar situation.

Went with Cary 306/200 > KGSS > Omega IIs

(You can easily sub in cary 308 or 303/200 to drop the price)

Dec 22, 2003 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 4
The thing that strikes me is you listen to mostly female vocalists. You could try the DT 880s, but since you seem to be satisfied with the ATs, next up is amp and/or CD player. You;ve got a pretty good budget but you've just purchased a low-priced dac. I'd go for an MPX3 with NOS tubes to really bring out the midrange for the female vocals. That'll cost you about $1000, leaving you $2000 for CD player. You've got a world of choices, especially if you go used. Figure out the sound you're looking for and go here: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/bbs.html and ask for recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back