New surround Technology for Headphones
Jan 26, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #46 of 100
...and while I'm at it, lets not overlook the great potential in the gaming world. Imagine one of the two gaming consoles (PS3 & XBOX360) having SVS and not the other, which one would you prefer?? Anyone with personal relations to Bill Gates or the Sony bosses ?..

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #47 of 100
I've been waiting for SVS for years now. I was really hoping that this CES there would be something - anything - tangible announced, but alas no dice. It really does sound like SVS is a substantial improvement over their nearest competetor (Dolby Headphone), but that ultimately means nothing if there isn't a product shipping.

In the meantime, JVC is coming out with a really cheap DH unit (~$130 retail) that will tide me over until SVS is finally ready for prime time. I just hope that I'm not left hanging for several more years.

Jun 15, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #48 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by banjo
.I my opinion that fact that you can reproduce the sound of a quality loudspeakers (stereo or surround) system to a degree where it is impossible? to decern any differences makes for a bright future of headphones.
I certainly can´t afford megabucks speaker systems but who cares I can copy thier sound signature with an affordable headphone system
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Why would I want to copy any pair of speakers no matter how good? High fidelity is about recreating the sound of real sound sources, instruments or voices, not mimicking speaker systems.

I would imagine sonic modifications that are individually-tailored to each person, as opposed to some hypothetical average as with Dolby Headphone, could give some advantage. I have made binaural recordings, using my own head, so I have already experienced these effects. They can be quite spectacular with special effects, less so with normal concert-type recordings.

In the here and now, JVC's Dolby Headphone is pretty good.

Jun 15, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #50 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
This is why I have SRS WOW on my portable player.

Is that what the SRS WOW essentially is? Crossfeed? I have it on my Windows Media Player on my pc, but it makes the bass sound raspy (like snare drums) sometimes...

This surround sound technology is very convincing... I live in San Jose, California, but I am nowhere near an experienced head-fi'er. I don't even know if it is worth going... well, if I DO go down there (at the right time), for my bro (UC Irvine) or some of my friends or cousins, I'll check it out

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #53 of 100
I wish everyone could here 5.1 surround sound, the way it was meant there so many things to learn in terms of placement, and room acoustics. It's not fair to have someone pay lots of money for speakers and not get the money's worth due to impropper placement and stuff like that. There is so many things to concider when it comes how to place your speakers.

If everyone could hear the same sound with headphones it would be great, that way the only thing to mavel about is the headphones, and not these billion dollar set-ups we hear experts rave about.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #54 of 100
good news: the yamaha unit will include a line out, so we can use our own prefferred headamp.

I've forwarded the link to this thread to a SVS representative, so if you care to voice any opinions/wishes i think there.s a good chance they will listen in.

cheers

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #55 of 100
This is great news, as this maybe also means competition to the consumer-version of the coming Beyer-processor.

I just hope, they don't **** it up again with crappy roomsimulations; this DH- "feature" is a joke, really.

Sep 20, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #56 of 100
Quote:

good news: the yamaha unit will include a line out, so we can use our own prefferred headamp.

I've forwarded the link to this thread to a SVS representative, so if you care to voice any opinions/wishes i think there.s a good chance they will listen in.

cheers

What I want is a digital out. The quality of ones DAC plays a huge part in the performance of headphones, and the only way to assure a DAC to ones specifications is to let people choose their own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
This is great news, as this maybe also means competition to the consumer-version of the coming Beyer-processor.

I just hope, they don't **** it up again with crappy roomsimulations; this DH- "feature" is a joke, really.

I for one like the room simulations, and the ability to switch between them based on my mood.

Sep 20, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #57 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Well, it would certainly give us something new to talk about.

Or old to talk about! I read a bio on Gary Baldassari, and here was an interesting tidbit...

"In 1997 he began working with Joe Grado on Four Channel Vectored Audio and has been applying Mr. Grado's concept to surround sound ever since. His personal DPA Microphone collection is extensive owning multiples of every style capsule we make including the glass encapsulated hybrid, the 4040."
cool.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #58 of 100
a digital out might be even better perhaps - but I wonder how much both amp and dac will really matter, considering that SVS works by copying the sound signature of speakers -I mean suppose it can make any phone, and any dac and any amp sound like any one speaker system due to its software "magic". Naturally I'd expect better performance from a good headphone rig, but I'm not sure the benefits are as great as for a normal system. Its been said that even lower quality phones can sound great using the SVS, but I guess it counts for something that the company used Stax equipement for demos.

Sep 20, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #59 of 100
Quote:

a digital out might be even better perhaps - but I wonder how much both amp and dac will really matter, considering that SVS works by copying the sound signature of speakers -I mean suppose it can make any phone, and any dac and any amp sound like any one speaker system due to its software "magic". Naturally I'd expect better performance from a good headphone rig, but I'm not sure the benefits are as great as for a normal system. Its been said that even lower quality phones can sound great using the SVS, but I guess it counts for something that the company used Stax equipement for demos.

I use high-end electrostatics will Dolby Headphone, so my view has come about from living with them for a long time and being able to see what they do and how they do it. You lose a lot of clarity and air from the music because of the DAC limitations, which don't help the negative perceptions headphiles have of speaker virtualization.

To these old ears, virtualization has the potential to be more sonically accurate than normal headphone listening, but it really needs to be taken seriously and implemented properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back