New Super.Fi 5 Pros... Burn In Required? Best Approach?
Sep 27, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 12
They defintely need burn-in!

I have them also since a week and the more I play the better they sound. But for sure they are not yet there.
Previously I had de E5c and they only came through by more then 100hrs on them.
Before that I had the E3c and they also needed a lot of hours before the performance came up to expectation.

I would suggest to hook it on a player (iPod?) and let it run for two or three days in a row. It is what I do before I start listening. Then you have some good mileage on them and you have the 75% of the improvement. The remaining 25% will come when listening.

Rgds hans

Sep 27, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw
They defintely need burn-in!

Really ? I didn't think IEM's that only use armatures have anything to burn-in. Unless of course, you're referring the super.fi 5 EB which have an old fashiioned diaphragm for the low frequencies...

Sep 27, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 12
No I refer to each and every headphone unit.

To be able to produce noise (sound) they need some mechanics that move. Whatever you call it, diaphragm or... it is something that moves up and down/to and froo. Without moving mechanics...> No sound!
Those mechanics need to settle down like an engine running in on the first mileage.

So yes definetly they need burning/running in.

Sep 27, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 12
Both the E3's and the UM2's sounded better after 100 hours on a source but whether it was the IEM's burning in or my ears/brain I can't say for sure. I'm leaning towards burn in but I'd say the more music you run through 'em the better they'll sound, regardless.

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bfguilford
Hi:

I just got my new Super.Fi 5 Pros and I'm wondering what you think would be the best approach to burning them in (if they do need to be burned in).

Thanks.

Yes, definitely. It requires at least 100 hours before the opening up the midrange & tighten up the bass.

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 12
Just a quick update on the burn in question. I have had the SF5Pros going for 72 hours now and have been listening at the end of each 24 hour period. I can definitely hear a difference as time goes on. The midrange is opening up and there seems to be more snap in the bass. These are really nice IEMs.

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 12
no such thing as burn in for canals.
icon10.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
no such thing as burn in for canals.
icon10.gif

Yeah, there isn't. At the factory tour at Ultimate Ears, they've stated there's no such thing. It's just psycological.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 12
I believe it is psycological as well. Some people also believe even though the IEM itself no need burn in, but the cable does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back