New Stevie Ray Vaughan live
Nov 24, 2001 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
I just picked up and listened to the new SRV "Live at Montreux 1982 & 1985".This two-disc set just debuted tuesday.As the title would suggest it features live concert dates from 1982 and 1985 at the Montreux Jazz festival on the now famous "Blues Night".It features 19 songs 11 of which are previously unreleased.It will be released on vinyl(my prefferred medium)next week.

What a treat this album is.The 1982 concert has great historical significance besides the outstanding performance and great sonics of the recording.This where he met Jackson Brown an David Bowie,both of whom would contribute greatly to Stevie's later success.The disc is worth the price for the audience reaction in the earlier performance alone.We was heartily booed and hissed by the Swiss audience.What a shame.What were these people thinking?The performance was unbelievable.

The 1985 performance sees SRV return to Montreux as a star.The audience now gets it and he is greeted as the great artist he is.The performance at this show is not as raw as the first,but it is still great.I don't particularly like the sound on this recording date.It seems that the audience reaction was given more priority on the master.I doubt the original recording had as much backround noise on it.this is most evident of couse when heard through headphones.

Go out and buy this disc and read the insert to get the lowdown on the importance of the 1982 date.No disappointments here.

Dec 1, 2001 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 2
Great Post. I just ordered it based on your review. I'm a huge SRV fan. He was one of the greatest, taken well before his time. Thanks for sharing the info & keeping his memory alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back