New stereo monitor, for video/audio editing
May 24, 2016 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LewisASTL

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I'm quite a fan of hfi site and his forums.

Im sorry for the lenght of the following, but i need help and any details may prove useful.
I work as editor for on-line site, writing review on gaming stuff and components. In the last years i also used to make some videos and i am going to make this alternative activity more professional than before.

I am using a pair of HD681-EVO from superlux, connected to a Xonar D2X. Quite a neutral sounding,but i think i need more on highs\vocals. Using a de-Esser or EQ is not easy at the point using a Corsair VOID is better. And that headset is not even intended to be an hifi piece.

Any suggestion?

May 24, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 8
Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the D2X.
Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

The D2X is a nice card, the one small problem is it's Front Speaker/Headphone jack is not the best for driving headphones (impedance issue).
A FiiO A3 (E11K) headphone amplifier ($60) would help bring out the detail in audio.
Or a used Schiit Magni headphone amplifier.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201589382666?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152101145823?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Maybe get the headphone amplifier first, try it with the HD681-EVO
Then see how much you might be willing to spend for better headphones.

May 24, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 8
Fully disabled, with UniX installed.

I am not going to put a limit on budget, but lets make two points:
1.I am producing content for lo-fi users on youtube, no editing on adele master records in studio nor i have a job in lucas films.
2.I am not Richie Rich.

Looking now for a neutral, flat-response analytical headset. I am oriented on DT770 80 ohm or AKG K701. What you think of?

That Magni looks nice, but not really avaiable here in europe. What about an ASUS Essence One or a STX II? I can get one of those for "free".

May 24, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 8
  Fully disabled, with UniX installed.
I am not going to put a limit on budget, but lets make two points:
1.I am producing content for lo-fi users on youtube, no editing on Adele master records in studio nor i have a job in Lucas films.
2.I am not Richie Rich.
Looking now for a neutral, flat-response analytical headset. I am oriented on DT770 80 ohm or AKG K701. What you think of?
That Magni looks nice, but not really available here in Europe. What about an ASUS Essence One or a STX II? I can get one of those for "free".

"Unix", do you mean you have Unix operating system installed or just using "Unix" as short for Unified Xonar Drivers?

The DT770 and K701 are more for the fun sound, for an end user.
For editing, i think neutral and boring headphone would be better.

For audio editing headphones, Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 headphones, both will normally sell for under $100.
For practical purposes almost the same headphone (like 95%), the 7506 being ever so slightly brighter.

The STX II is really just the like the latest revision (improvement?) of the D2X, but with a dedicated headphone amplifier installed (on the STX II).

Getting an Asus Essence One or STX II for Free sounds nice, but I doubt it would help for audio editing.

I would think a FiiO A3 with V6 or 7506 would be fine, for your editing use.

May 24, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks! 

Another question: is there any alternative to A3 amp?
The fact is...i dont like many things on my desk. Speaking of that, can a STX II solve both problem or you still recommend the A3?

May 24, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 8
  Another question: is there any alternative to A3 amp?
The fact is...I don't like many things on my desk. Speaking of that, can a STX II solve both problem or you still recommend the A3?

If you like a clean desk, then go for the STX II.
I just like the A3 because it can be used with more then just a computer, as it can work powered from it's battery and can be powered by a USB port.

As you say you want more highs (brighter sound?), the MDR-7506 might be a little better choice over the MDR-V6 (which is slightly more bassy?).

Suggest you find a website forum where people talk a lot about audio/video editing, see what headphones they prefer for editing.
as I'm in no way an expert, but I do like to talk like one :wink:

May 25, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 8
You were more useful than you guess. I also asked and lurked other forums, the general consensus is to go for the Sony.

I'm currently investigating the 7510 which has 50mm diameter and a wider response. Not so different price, over 100€ for upper model  against 75€ for 7506.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 8
To whoever find this thread searching in the forum, here is the ending.

I bought the 7506, and after three months of use i'm really happy with this choice. Neutral sound, perfect voices, good even for music altough i still prefer more "coloured" headphones with vshaped response.
Better than superlux models especially regarding "realism" on high frequencies.

Thanks to everyone

PS. still trying to choose between essence and stx, but that story is a problem of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back