New STAX 4040 user needs help!
Sep 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

geared2play

Head-Fier
Hi, guys

I just bought an used STAX 4040 system with the older 006t amp. However, it is the Japanese version so I have to use a step-down transformer.

Running through some older posts, I saw something regarding adjusting voltages on older STAX amps using jumpers. I opened up my unit to check the transformer unit; it is indeed an universal voltage transformer for with different wire and there is a part of the circuit board that has a set of holes for jumper wires. 

Before I go and burn my amp, I would like to make sure I am doing it the right way. Here is the picture inside my 006t. The jumpers are currently soldered between position 1,3,6. As read from other post, I just need to place the wire in 2,4,6 position to make it 117V.

Here is my question, how do I test to see if the amps running at 117V and do I need to change the fuse? Thanks in advance.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 6
Hello
I noticed that you have a used STAX 4040 earphone set.
I want to know if you like it?
Next saturday i am gonna listen to this set. A shop is selling it as demo for 1750 euro!! (1 year garantee)
SR 404 headphone and 006TII amplifier.

Wilko

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Hello
I noticed that you have a used STAX 4040 earphone set.
I want to know if you like it?
Next saturday i am gonna listen to this set. A shop is selling it as demo for 1750 euro!! (1 year garantee)
SR 404 headphone and 006TII amplifier.

Wilko

I like everything except the need to manually adjust tube bias every 3 months. The 4040 is definitely mid-oriented, not a whole a lot of extension on the high end and lack bass quantity, but the mid range is very good, revealing and smooth.I sold mine because the lack of good source. 4040 is kinda picky about source, since it is very revealing. Btw, 1750 euro for the set is a rip-off, I would suggest you pick up a SRM-T1 and a 407 off the for sale section for much cheaper. T1 has adjustable voltage setting between 100-220V so there is no need to worry about voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back