New speakers
Jul 11, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #16 of 32
Hmmm...frequency response for the Edifier R1700BT is 60Hz-20KHz ±6dB. Not much better than the R1800T III which is 65Hz ~ 20KHz +/-6dB. That +/-6dB means that the speakers could already be rolled off by as much as -12 db by the stated low end. So yes. A 2.1 speaker system would (probably) give you deeper bass.

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #17 of 32
With cheap 2.1 systems (<300 EUR, I guess) you get really lousy satellites - that's the main problem.

As far as Edifiers are concerned, there is no huge difference between 1600, 1700 & 1800. Pick whichever you want. 1600 and 1700 have more convenient manual volume control on the side rather than on the back.

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #18 of 32
  What about the Edifier R1700BT? 
The main thing i see here is that people likes 2.0 better, im not sure why, since theres no subwoofer. (Im not a audiophile, and I do not really know anything about good speakers and stuff) 

There are a lot of things to consider when choosing speakers. One is space - depending on the shape of the area there might not be room for a subwoofer box. A small 2.1 system with a sub will have tiny satellites and a tiny sub. That means that the tiny satellites will have to depend more on the subwoofer to reproduce low midrange, which at the same time is a tiny woofer incapable of reproducing very low frequencies anyway, with a box that forces it to boost bass frequencies in ways that just increase distortion due to cone break-up during excursion (the pumping action of a dynamic driver).

Another thing is integration vs necessary response - some people listen to music that doesn't have a lot of very low bass (or wouldnt sound too wrong without it), and in some cases the subwoofer can encounter some acoustic issues. Room modes can boost certain frequencies, or depending on where the sub is, at what frequency the crossover transition is effectively at, etc, can have the subwoofer's sound disjointed from the upper frequencies of the note that it's supposed to reinforce. Instead of one solid "THUD!" for the bass drum you can hear a weak "thack" and another "Bwwwooom." This doesn't happen often but when it does then it's frustrating having spent that much on the sub.

A good quality, larger 2ch speaker (minimum 5.25inches on the woofer) can hit down to 60hz (or even lower with 6.5in or 7in drivers) before it drops off sharply. At the same time a 2.1 that uses a tiny sub set to produce low bass all the way up to 250hz or so has too much distortion and doesn't really get far enough past where the 5.25 monitor rolls off (60hz). Also the 2-way 2.0 system avoids integration issues with a sub; or at least, you can try a sub with it, and in case you do get integration issues, you're still reaching down lower than a tiny 2.1.

Of course, if you have the space for it - not just where to put it, but you need to set them apart as well as sit farther back for optimum integration of sound - a tower speaker with large or multiple (or heck, multiple large) bass drivers driven by a powerful, high current amp is the way to go. If you have space.

Those are two 10in woofers in the bottom

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #19 of 32
  With cheap 2.1 systems (<300 EUR, I guess) you get really lousy satellites - that's the main problem.

As far as Edifiers are concerned, there is no huge difference between 1600, 1700 & 1800. Pick whichever you want. 1600 and 1700 have more convenient manual volume control on the side rather than on the back.

If i get something like the Edifiers, should i then buy a dac? 

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #23 of 32
If you are using motherboard audio, let us know what chipset/model it is using if you can. For example, Realtek ALC892 (which is decent).

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #25 of 32
I would just go with the Harman Kardon Soundsticks as you suggested and call it a day. They sound and look great. 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #28 of 32
Thanks for your input. But why the Harman Kardon Soundsticks and not a 2.0 system?

2.0 set in your price range could be more accurate compared to Soundsticks for sure, but Soundsticks will pretty much still sound more exciting than any of those. Having subwoofer is really nice addition especially with movies and I doubt any of 2.0 within your budget will ever achieve the same what can be done with dedicated subwoofer. Finally, Soundsticks are very forgiving with placement and sound good just about anywhere you could possibly place them. It is just my opinion, but not much better speakers can be had for this money. They're a simple solution that give you great sound while also looking great. Many will disagree with me, but I would pick Soundsticks even over Klipsch Promedia, which was suggested earlier.

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #29 of 32
2.0 set in your price range could be more accurate compared to Soundsticks for sure, but Soundsticks will pretty much still sound more exciting than any of those. Having subwoofer is really nice addition especially with movies and I doubt any of 2.0 within your budget will ever achieve the same what can be done with dedicated subwoofer. Finally, Soundsticks are very forgiving with placement and sound good just about anywhere you could possibly place them. It is just my opinion, but not much better speakers can be had for this money. They're a simple solution that give you great sound while also looking great. Many will disagree with me, but I would pick Soundsticks even over Klipsch Promedia, which was suggested earlier.

Thanks for your replie! I will look more into it! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back