new speakers
May 3, 2006 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
vandersteen.jpg

Vandersteen 1C's! YAY!!! I am auditioning them now and have a day to decide if they are keepers or not. What a huge sound, great bass and so much punch... I have already decided...

May 4, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 5
congratulations...great speakers with a unique sound signature...enjoy!

May 5, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 5
thanks. I just updated the picture in my first post. I am totally and completely satisfied and without remorse about buying these speakers. They are overall on the darker side, relaxed, but still very detailed and punchy. They have a deep and unique richness. Despite all the great warmth they still seem to provide a fairly neutral presentation, especially on the top end, which is no way pronounced. They have great range, with deep and powerful low end. Sounds emerge from blackness, there is very little grain, and they seem to reproduce realistic timbres of instruments. Bass drum feels like its right there in the room. Piano, strings, and vocals sound convincingly real. The deep, wide soundstage is able to seperate the instruments very well so that you can hear the vocals (for example) in the middle of the room and slightly distant, surrounded by the other instruments, instead of everything sounding flat and upfront. The open baffle design spreads the sound throughout my whole apartment with ease. Overall the sound is a slightly on the warm side in my system but I am upgrading to silver speaker wire which I believe will help to gain more neutrality and speed. I am loving these speakers.

May 5, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 5
Nice choice, I've always liked Vandys, I had a good time listening to the 2C's a while back.

May 5, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 5
I listened to the 2Cs and found that their sound staging capability wasn't up to the level I wanted. Also, the sound was slightly dry to me, because the speakers are so wonderful at keeping a neutral, balanced presentation. I suppose it's just the sound signature you're liking.

Enjoy your purchase! Speakers are an investment, and you should be held as an example of the correct way to get into the hi-fi market! Not too many other Head-Fiers have as much logic as you do, according to the other threads I've seen.

Good choice, and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back