New Speakers Recommandations
Sep 14, 2020 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

AmBL

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Sadly, my preety medicore surround system(Logitech Z906) got rekt by voltage spike and it's time to move on (I've been using it for 8 years).

So I'd like to state my uses and main ask you to guide me.
It's speakers for my computer which is my main entertaiment platform.
I listen to music all day long, video gaming and movies in the evening.
I'm not sure if I should go for 2.1 or 2.0, and frankly, I've not specific model in mind.
Budget is around 1000$.

So far, I've set my eyes on Kanto TUK which seems really great , reviews are pretty good but inconclusive, some say it has a bad bass, can anyone approve? Can anyone share his experience with Kanto TUK?

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 17
My computer-based audio system is a British-based 2.1 system consisting of:

• Ruark Audio MR1 Mk2 active speakers
  • BK Electronics XLS200FF subwoofer

The sound is pretty good! I'm not sure if these components are available in your territory though. I'd go for a 2.1 system nevertheless for a computer-based audio system. You want the main speakers next to your monitor as you'll be quite close to them. A 2.0 system will mean having to get much larger main speakers to get the low bass frequencies and you would need to sit much further away to appreciate the sound. My subwoofer is under my computer desk and out of sight. It's highly tuneable to synergise with the main speakers.

I'd say the key points about the main speakers is that they should be small and discreet to fit in nicely with your computer. The system I have allows Bluetooth audio connections (which I don't use) and has auto on/off for the main speakers and the subwoofer - this is a nice feature to have for a computer-based audio system as you don't have to worry about switching the audio devices on or off. They just go to 'sleep' when your computer is off or idle and 'wake up' when you play music.

Here's one of the Ruark Audio MR1 Mk2 active speakers next to my computer and the subwoofer under my desk:

4Ur2M5r.jpg

DSSz3qp.jpg

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 17
I'd say pick up a pair of refurb KEF LSX from accessories4less for $900 and add a sub later if you find there isn't enough bass.

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 17
I'm not sure if I should go for 2.1 or 2.0, and frankly, I've not specific model in mind.
Budget is around 1000$.

If this is your main listening rig instead of, say, a reference headphone (or another speaker system), you'd want to get the biggest possible speakers, but then there's the limit: your desk in terms of absolute size and how much you'd give up. Don't even just think of this in terms of just the foot print of the speakers, since that makes them fire straight at your chest, which can screw up the imaging and the tone. You need to account for mounting pads that will angle them, just like in the pages for that Kanto, Audioengines, etc.

In very general terms (ie sometimes one tier up, one size down speakers will match the low end reach of the one below it despite being smaller) the larger the speakers, the wider the frequency range it can cover. The wider the range, the less dependent you are on a subwoofer or passive radiators (although the latter is an easy way to boost the upper bass range and at least make the thumping audible without adding a third box). Depending on your needs and expectations, it might not eliminate the need for a sub, but at least even if you do get one, you can set the frequency cut off a lot lower and reduce how well you can localize the bass notes (assuming you didn't get a boxed set where that cut off is fixed and usually cut a bit too high to make for more audible thumping on the subwoofer, even at the cost of imaging).

So far, I've set my eyes on Kanto TUK which seems really great , reviews are pretty good but inconclusive, some say it has a bad bass, can anyone approve? Can anyone share his experience with Kanto TUK?

As small as the midwoofer on those are I'd be less inclined to use them without a sub...but then again I wouldn't be using them for my primary listening rig, if at least in the sense that I don't define "primary" to be "where I sit and work." I mean I might spend 90% of listening time there but that 90% isn't 100% listening - I'm working, banging away on a keyboard, or listening to something I have to work on (where the ribbon tweets on that speaker might come in handy), I'm probably on forums or FB, editing photos, etc., and the 10% of listening on my reference rig despite being only 10% in terms of absolute time spent is 100% just listening, not doing anything else. Bottomline: I'd use it for a secondary rig where regardless of how much time I spend on it I'm not going to maximize even the absolute best owing to being distracted anyway, so I'm more open to compromises in other areas.

Now if you plan on sitting on that same desk to just listen, without doing anything else that will take some of your focus off the music, then absolutely get something better than have to perpetually notice more flaws during such listening sessions. Something more along the lines of the Focal Alpha 65 or KRK Rokit 6, spend the change (and maybe a bit more) on a good DAC with preamp output (or just any audio interface if you don't care about having a good headphone amplifier). If you really don't want an extra box and want the volume control on just one of the speakers, I'd go with something like the HiVi M200.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 17
If this is your main listening rig instead of, say, a reference headphone (or another speaker system), you'd want to get the biggest possible speakers, but then there's the limit: your desk in terms of absolute size and how much you'd give up. Don't even just think of this in terms of just the foot print of the speakers, since that makes them fire straight at your chest, which can screw up the imaging and the tone. You need to account for mounting pads that will angle them, just like in the pages for that Kanto, Audioengines, etc.

In very general terms (ie sometimes one tier up, one size down speakers will match the low end reach of the one below it despite being smaller) the larger the speakers, the wider the frequency range it can cover. The wider the range, the less dependent you are on a subwoofer or passive radiators (although the latter is an easy way to boost the upper bass range and at least make the thumping audible without adding a third box). Depending on your needs and expectations, it might not eliminate the need for a sub, but at least even if you do get one, you can set the frequency cut off a lot lower and reduce how well you can localize the bass notes (assuming you didn't get a boxed set where that cut off is fixed and usually cut a bit too high to make for more audible thumping on the subwoofer, even at the cost of imaging).

As small as the midwoofer on those are I'd be less inclined to use them without a sub...but then again I wouldn't be using them for my primary listening rig, if at least in the sense that I don't define "primary" to be "where I sit and work." I mean I might spend 90% of listening time there but that 90% isn't 100% listening - I'm working, banging away on a keyboard, or listening to something I have to work on (where the ribbon tweets on that speaker might come in handy), I'm probably on forums or FB, editing photos, etc., and the 10% of listening on my reference rig despite being only 10% in terms of absolute time spent is 100% just listening, not doing anything else. Bottomline: I'd use it for a secondary rig where regardless of how much time I spend on it I'm not going to maximize even the absolute best owing to being distracted anyway, so I'm more open to compromises in other areas.

Now if you plan on sitting on that same desk to just listen, without doing anything else that will take some of your focus off the music, then absolutely get something better than have to perpetually notice more flaws during such listening sessions. Something more along the lines of the Focal Alpha 65 or KRK Rokit 6, spend the change (and maybe a bit more) on a good DAC with preamp output (or just any audio interface if you don't care about having a good headphone amplifier). If you really don't want an extra box and want the volume control on just one of the speakers, I'd go with something like the HiVi M200.

I think I wasn't clear enough, my fault.
I do listen to music, but I do tons of things while listening to music, mainly I program while listen to music.
My desk bearly has space in it, I think the Kanto Tuk can squeeze in perfectly, but going bigger might be a problem.

The Kantos will be a significant upgrade from the setup you had. Are there better desktop speakers? Yes, but if you liked the sound of the Logitechs, you will love the Kantos even without a sub. And if you do find them lacking in bass, you can always add one later.
I'm looking for the best desktop speakers I can afford, I'd be happy to hear you suggestions.
BTW, the KEF LS50 is pretty affordable in my country, the problem is that I need to buy an amplifier (which costs A LOT, or maybe not? maybe there's an afforable one?).

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 17
You may be able to get a pro amp pretty inexpensively - Crown or similar. They don't have a lot of "audiophile cred" but tend to be good clean power.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 17
I do listen to music, but I do tons of things while listening to music, mainly I program while listen to music.
My desk bearly has space in it, I think the Kanto Tuk can squeeze in perfectly, but going bigger might be a problem.

I'm looking for the best desktop speakers I can afford, I'd be happy to hear you suggestions.
BTW, the KEF LS50 is pretty affordable in my country, the problem is that I need to buy an amplifier (which costs A LOT, or maybe not? maybe there's an afforable one?).
What's your budget? Dynaudio Xeo 10 are a big upgrade from the Tuk in sound quality, frequency range, and future-proof with the different inputs and better DAC that can handle 4k movies and higher sample rate lossless music but they also retail for $1,500 and are harder to find. The KEF LS50 would be a smaller upgrade, though I recall them being bigger in every dimension than the kantos and you're still no better off bass wise. Honestly, the Tuk is great--better in some aspects than the AudioEngine HD6.

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 17
What's your budget? Dynaudio Xeo 10 are a big upgrade from the Tuk in sound quality, frequency range, and future-proof with the different inputs and better DAC that can handle 4k movies and higher sample rate lossless music but they also retail for $1,500 and are harder to find. The KEF LS50 would be a smaller upgrade, though I recall them being bigger in every dimension than the kantos and you're still no better off bass wise. Honestly, the Tuk is great--better in some aspects than the AudioEngine HD6.

Dynaudio Xeo 10 isn't available in my country and doesn't seem like I can get it easily from Amazon.
So the TUK is my best choice? how about SVS Prime - https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-wireless-speaker-system, these are preety easy to get here as well.
I can order the Kanto Tuk from Amazon Germany in pretty good deal.

Sep 15, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 17
Got these for a TV...nice sound for $200

1600204436772.png

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 17
Hey guys,
Sadly, my preety medicore surround system(Logitech Z906) got rekt by voltage spike and it's time to move on (I've been using it for 8 years).

Budget is around 1000$.

How do you feel about building your own speakers? I've built several and I'll never buy pre-made again. I built a 3.1 setup for my computer/gaming setup in my office and I'm using a decent Denon receiver I bought used on eBay!, if it's something you'd be interested in, I'll post some links to the DIY designs I built.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #13 of 17
Dynaudio Xeo 10 isn't available in my country and doesn't seem like I can get it easily from Amazon.
So the TUK is my best choice? how about SVS Prime - https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-wireless-speaker-system, these are preety easy to get here as well.
I can order the Kanto Tuk from Amazon Germany in pretty good deal.
I have only heard and bought the higher tier passive SVS Ultra bookshelves, which were truly great. I have seen that reviewers appear to love the Prime wireless. Maybe you should try those instead, if for nothing else because they give you a no questions asked trial period and they pay to ship them back if you don't like them. Tell us what you think!

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 17

Then you'll really just have to manage expectations.

Regarding "time spent does not necessarily equate to reference system," I only have the Creative Pebble V2 on my laptop desk. Enough to clearly hear voices (like on conference,YT channels discussing history or tech,vocals on music), with just enough low end.

The main problem though is "just enough." It's "just enough" for me since I'm not 100% focused on the music on that desk anyway (apart from when I need to take a break and a song like Kamelot's "Elizabeth" comes on and I use my desk as drums), BUT the problem with being able to recommend a smaller speaker is whether that's enough for you (or whoever else is asking). You have to be open to the bass being lacking. And in the case of when it's the manufacturer that isn't OK with the bass quantity in terms of dB or low end reach, chances are it just ruins what bass there is. I don't know if the Kanto TUK fits in that category, but you also have to be open to the possibility that it might. I mean I've never really used a bigger desk, but I didn't blow $200 on the Audioengine V2 almost a decade ago because I got to try it and realized that even having them at the same level as my ears in the open store shelf display (if I bend my knees a little bit; it was the top and only level on the shelf, like Apple store shelves more than any where the PC parts are in Best Buy, so pretty sure there's nothing acting like a bass trap like corners in a room) because while it did have bass quantity, it wasn't that loud even then and what bass was there sounded more like THWWUUUUUMMMWWUUUUUMMMWWUUUUMMM than the THUD! THUD! THUD! of the recording that I'd much rather go with a cleaner thud! thud! thud! on my Pebble V2.

Note that I'm not saying the Kanto will be a bad buy. I'm saying it might even be a good buy...to me...where the problem is I won't be able to tell to any degree (not that I can be extremely accurate about that even with details) if it will be a good buy to you. At minimum you have to accept some compromises here and there. And that being said here are a few others you might want to consider, some of which might save you a bit of money for something that won't necessarily need to be reference grade anyway since throwing more money at it won't be able to override physics:

1.Edifier E10BT - https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers/e10bt-exclaim-bt-connect-bluetooth-computer-speakers
Might not have that much less bass, even more compact especially since the cabinets already angle the drivers upward (vs putting the Kantos on an angle pad), saves you a lot of money.

2. Edifier E25HD - https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers/e25hd-luna-bluetooth-wireless
Might have as much bass, even more compact especially since the cabinets already angle the drivers upward (vs putting the Kantos on an angle pad), saves you a fair bit of money.

3. Edifier R1700BTS - https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers/r1700bts-bluetooth-bookshelf-speakers
Might still have a smaller footprint vs the Kanto on angle pads (but not if you get Kanto's short desk stands)

4. Swans M200MkIII- https://swanspeakers.com/product/m200mkiii-bluetooth-bookshelf-speakers/
Might not be that much bigger footprint vs the Kanto on angled stands

5. The Kanto TUK, but put it on a short stand to elevate them or really just make the footprint a little bit bigger with the angled stands (this is usually harder to knock over, usually).

6, KEF Egg - https://www.amazon.com/KEF-Versatil...cs&sprefix=kef+desktop,electronics,602&sr=1-1

If you have any carpentry and geometry skills though (and a couple weekends) you could consider getting a good 3in to 4in fullrange driver and just putting it in a custom cabinet. As much as these require larger cabinet volume, you also need them to either angle up or position the drivers higher up near ear level anyway, so you can get creative with the cabinet design and just make them taller but with a small area foot print. For the most part, just keep the total internal volume and the volume of the port the same (this is easier to do with a tube port than a slotted port, much less the fancier designs that you're likely to see on full-on hi-fi use fullrange speakers or car audio bass competition subwoofers).

7. https://www.parts-express.com/copperhead-desktop-full-range-speaker-kit-pair--300-7180A
Already comes in a kit, good starter, compact. You can practice on this one and maybe it might last you a long enough time before you explore a more complex cabinet design so that you can modify the shape but maybe still get a slotted port or something like a backloaded horn. Downside is it's currently out of stock.

8. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs100-8-4-reference-full-range-driver--295-352 or https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w4-1320sj-4-bamboo-cone-driver--264-847
You can also design an enclosure for either of these raw drivers.

As for the amp for these two options above, you can either get a compact Class D amp that can sit under your display for example since 25w is plenty for these. Alternately you could get a plate amp that you can mount on each and either use a preamp to control both, or get a 2ch plate amp, mount it on one cabinet (ex mount an extra rear baffle on both cabinets, but put a cut out on one for the amp) and then run speaker wires going into the other speaker (pretty much like most consumer powered speakers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back