New Speakers: Mackie MR8's
Jun 7, 2009 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

boclcown

100+ Head-Fier
So I decided that spending more money on headphones, although tempting, would be too redundant, and furthermore decided that spending the money on anything other than a device that plays music would be lame, so I went on the lookout for some reference monitors.

I did some research, visited some shops, and fell in love with the Mackie MR series. I decided to go with the MR8's because I felt that the bigger size would help increase the presence of the low end, which some reviews said were lacking b/c of the flat frequency response that reference monitors general strive for.

I'll post an in-depth review later, but I have some questions first.

1) any idea how/where I should place them? Elevated? on the ground?

2) I'm headed to OSU next year, and realize they might be stolen. How can I prevent this? Has anyone ever had to devise a contraption to protect speakers? I'm open to any ideas and don't mind going to Home Depot if necesary.

3) do I need to burn in speakers? I aknowlege that it'd be a little tougher to leave them on in my house all night, but still, I suppose it could be done if necessary.

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 4
I was looking at those Monitors recently also. Do a search for Mackie MR 8 reviews and you'll probably find the forums. There are some nice one's out there, I just don't remember the names. Do a search for MR8 problems will probably find the forums the quickest. That's what I searched for. I bought JBL LSR4328P and LSR4312SP sub fyi. Figured you might ask. I was also looking at Mackie HR series in 8". The problems search is something I always use when doing pre-purchase info hunting.

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #4 of 4
You should put them on speaker stands. They should form an equilateral triangle with your listening position, and be toed in accordingly. The top of the bass driver should be level with your ears. I'd recommend at least a foot or two away from the rear wall. The distance from rear walls and side walls should not be equal. If you already have them all of this should be in the manual, but if not, download the manual for the M-Audio BX8 most of this is in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back