New speakers for my Esoteric AZ1 DAC/Integrated
Nov 16, 2009 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

El Bishop

New Head-Fier
Trying to find something more suited to my setup. Currently have B&W 705s. Paired with my amp, which is very detailed (maybe too detailed) and a bit bright, these are not the right speakers.

The max output of my amp is 50 W + 50 W 1 kHz / 8 ohm & 80 W + 80 W (1 kHz/ 4 ohm) -- copied and pasted this -- not actually sure what the 50 W vs. 80 W distinction is. Also the fact that it's a "Class D" amp supposedly makes it more power efficient.

Does this translate into greater than either the 50 or 80 W per channel that the unit actually outputs? As you can tell, I am a little deficient in the engineering knowledge department.

Anyway, I am currently auditioning B&W 805's at home and think they sound great. But perhaps it's just great relative to teh 705s. B&W's, I read, are very power hungry so while they sound better than teh 705's, they still may not be the best speakers for my system.

Any objective thoughts on how this amp theoretically should pair with the 805s?

And, any recommendations for a less power-hungry speaker in the $2k-$3k range?

Thanks,

EB

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 3
The AZ-1 is a Class D amplifier and when a friend owned one I found it quite clinical and lean-sounding. TBH being a fan of Esoteric's kit (I own an X-03se) I was somewhat disappointed with it.

If I were you I would certainly avoid speakers with metal-dome tweeters to avoid listening fatigue. B&W's tweeters can be a tad bright IME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back