New Speakers Arrive!!
Mar 29, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #18 of 38
Wow, replacing green mountain europas, too. Nice speakers old and new. Enjoy those new "beefy" monitors. Great purchase. Glad to see some "advanced" speaker talk on this board instead of "can you recommend me $6.99 PC speakers?"

I am loving my new Totem Hawks, which as a small floorstander, are smaller in some ways than your Tylers! 5.5" woofer, and only 9" deep and a miniscule 6.75" wide. Again, good to see something like a thread on the Tyler Linbrook Sig's here. I bet they are excellent.

- walk

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 38
Right now I have my amp choices narrowed down to the PrimaLuna Prologue Six mono blocks, used BAT VK-60 or a PS Audio GCA-100. Decisions, Decisions
eek.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Right now I have my amp choices narrowed down to the PrimaLuna Prologue Six mono blocks, used BAT VK-60 or a PS Audio GCA-100. Decisions, Decisions
eek.gif

PS Audio is Class D, right? go for that! guinea pig, guinea pig, guinea pig. what's the sensitivity on the Tylers (i hear class d's work better with 90db+, stable impedance speakers).

i expect a fully illustrated, multi-page comparison between the tylers and europas.
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #21 of 38
Interesting on the PS Audio gain cell "integrated." I must say tkam, I've read a few pretty negative reviews from the posters at Audiogon and Audio Asylum about this unit, so food for thought. I think though that you have return policy with PS Audio, so you are covered there (right?). However, just based on the reviews that folks give at AA and Audiogon (and I saw your thread on Audigon, too), the PS Audio control amp was not something that stood out in any regard to me. On the other hand, I cannot find anything negative on the BAT stuff. When I bought my integrated last year (Sim Audio, I-5), I did a lot of reading, and continue to do so. I have found pretty strong user reviews for these $2k-$3k used integrated's below (amongst others, but this was a quick & dirty gathering):

Ayre cx-7e
Bel Canto evo 2i (neutral, dynamic, but some say boring and sterile)
Blue Circle
Sim Audio I5-LE (fast, neutral, clean, but low power at 75 wpc)
Plinius 9200 (warm, rich, lush, tubey, high power 175 wpc, but some say slow and lacking PRaT)
Krell Kav-400xi (wide soundstage, dynamic, balanced outputs, 200 wpc, but runs hot, cold & analytical)

The Mark Levinson 383 and Jeff Rowland Concerto are higher end and more $, but also are highly regarded. I realize all of the one's I listed are solid state (and that you are interested in tubes to some extent), but that's what I know. Of the one's I listed that have relatively less power, that may not be an issue for relatively sensitive speakers. Good luck.

- walk

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #22 of 38
Speaking of good integrated's I just got a used Unison Research Unico off of Audiogon. I haven't heard it yet and won't be able to for a while (havent gotten my speaker setup together yet) but I plan on pairing it with some Zu Tones or Druids.

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #24 of 38
That makes the most sense, tkam. Go with what you know and like. Can't go wrong then. Enjoy your new system!

- walk

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #25 of 38
Well my speaker rig is completed now. The new speaker stands and monoblocs have been in the house for a little bit now.

The Tylers with matching Model 3 stands. Hard to tell from the pic, but the stands are equally as well built as the speakers are.

tylers01.jpg
tylers02.jpg

Ah yes the precious prologue six
icon10.gif

six01.jpg

six02.jpg

six03.jpg

six04.jpg

six05.jpg

Rear shot, you can see the huge ps audio plus power cables. They are a ton bigger than I expected, oh well.

six06.jpg

Impressions coming soon...

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #26 of 38
that's a beautiful rig you got there... sweets pics, too.

looking forward to your impressions.

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #27 of 38
i envy you.

one day i will have something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back