New speakers, annoying problem
Dec 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

reprisal

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I recently purchased a pair of Infinity Primus p162 speakers, a Topping TP21 amplifier, and a Dayton SUB-120 subwoofer. These are connected to my computer as follows:

Asus Xonar DG > 3.5mm to RCA cable > Topping TP21 > speaker wire from TP21 to SUB-120 > speaker wire from SUB-120 to Primus p162

Unfortunately, there is a problem with the sound. It's a certain "unsmoothness". The sound is wobbly, sounds that I know should be continuous and smooth sharply and repeatedly drop in volume for a split second. "Choppy" sound I suppose. Unfortunately I don't know the proper terms to describe this problem but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also, if it helps, this problem does not occur on my ATH M50s connected directly to the xonar dg. It DOES occur on the ATH M50s if plugged into the amplifier headphone out.

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Amplifier only has a knob for volume. I'm using foobar + wasapi and no equalizer. Problem occurs in VLC media player as well. Problem occurs whether sub is attached or not.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 6
It doesn't just occur on the amp's headphone out, it also occurs using the speakers connected to the amplifier with speaker cable. I wouldn't mind if the problem only happened with the headphone out of the amp because I can plug my headphones directly into my sound card (which has a headphone amp). I'm looking to get my speakers sounding correct mainly.

What do you mean by level check?

Previous speakers were 2.1 creative (they were crap, but didn't do what these are doing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back