new speaker setup.. HELP!!
Oct 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bik2101

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been getting more and more into hi-fi mostly on the headphone side of things. But now am looking to also upgrade my computer speaker setup. Currently I am running the z-2300 from an emu0404 USB. My budget is not too high, preferably around $200-$300, but could be convinced to raise that if the improvements are big. I have been reading around a bit and see that the A2's are pretty nice and active (?). How much of an improvement would the A2's be over the z-2300? I would consider the A5 but they are much larger and also more $$. I would like to keep the size small, like the A2's if possible.

My question is whether passive speakers are better than active speakers. And if yes, is it a very noticeable difference? I am wondering this because if passive speakers are an improvement, then there would also have to be more money put into buying receivers correct? Lots of questions but hope someone can help. Thanks!

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 18
after a bit more reading, I am leaning towards going the route of passive speakers with a T amp(?) I saw this T amp recommended in one thread and looks to have good reviews. Parts-Express.com:*Dayton DTA-1 Class T Digital Amplifier 15 WPC | Dayton audio t amp t-amplifier t-amp t amp t amplifier class t amplifier class-t amplifier class t tripath tri-path tri path tripath amplifier stereo amplifier multimedia amplifier bo Any other recommendations for a T amp?

The main question now becomes which passive speakers do I get? These will be going on my desk and so would like to keep the size to a minimum but not at the cost of SQ. Please please help!!

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 18
Oct 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 18
thanks plaidplatypus. will take a look at those amps. what exactly is a T amp though? i have seen people talking about using receivers for passive speakers. is there an advantage to using a receiver versus a T amp?

I probably won't be going extreme enough to buy drivers and build my own speakers as I just don't think I would have the time to research into all of that and build it.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 18
T-amp uses something called a tripath chip. It's a class D amplifier that doesn't use much power. Class D Amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A receiver is an amplifier (usually Class A/B) that has a radio tuner inside it. They are very common, and often can be found at garage sales for next to nothing. Modern A/V receivers often have a DAC and surround sound decoding too.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 18
so a receiver would be a better option correct? i'm assuming that it depends on how much power the speakers would need right? and since I already have a DAC (EMU0404 USB), as long as the power output from the T-amp is sufficient for the speakers I have, it shouldn't be a problem right? I hope this logic is right because I don't really have space on my desk for a receiver and the T-amps seems smaller and more compact. thanks for all the help plaidplatypus
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 18
I find that a DAC that sounds nice with one amplifier may not be my favorite with another. For example when I had my Creek amp the DAC-ah was my favorite. I liked the MicroDAC with the Headroom amp. I liked the DAC in my Marantz A/V receiver better than my DA-10 in my old speaker rig.

The T-amp may be tiny but it may or may not be a good match for what speakers you like, I've owned a couple cheap class D amps and neither of them stayed in my system long. There are many smaller tube amps and a few smaller solid state amps too, just keep your eyes open.

Jan Meier made some small monobloc power amps, I don't see them on his anymore. Meier-Audio

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 18
thanks for that info... but i really don't want to buy yet another dac as I am quite happy with my EMU. Also I would not consider myself and audiophile and probably would not be able to tell too much difference between the pairings of different DACs and t-amps unless it was very much a night and day kind of difference. But thanks for the info anyways. Of course if I had more disposable income, I would definitely be open to trying all these other options and different DACs.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 18
The t-amp isn't my favorite regardless of the DAC or source connected to it. It's main pluses are it's size and power consumtion. It was fairly clear sounding but not full sounding. If you get the t-amp you will have to find some speakers that compliment it well. Some vintage speakers have rolled off highs and good mids, so if you have a portable player and lots of time to go garage saleing the t-amp might work for you.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 18
okay thanks...i'm planning on getting a pair of energy rc-10. and from what i've heard, they are pretty efficient speakers and so don't need much power so i'll probably do some research into good t-amps and then buy one. i have an old sony receiver at home that i can probably hook up the rc-10s to and see if there is enough of a difference to my ears over a t-amp.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 18
audiomagus has several brands of T-amps with various levels of modifications. I got my Mardis 3.0 from them. Nice folks, and a wide variety to pick from now at their site.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 18
audiomagus.com is now owned by Obad Imports. Purchases made through audiomagus are shipped from Obads warehouse in Blaine, WA. I do not see audiomagus offering the modded units from the 'new' site...Obad never offered them...

I have owned or heard all the T-amps offered by audiomagus and actually modded the T20/T20U units for them for a bit. The difference in sound depends on the chip (2020 or 2024). I find the 2020 sound more to my liking. I use a T20 with Auricap coupling caps and Panasonic FM power supply caps and find it gives good sound with sensitive speakers. Battery power gives a quiet background and good dynamics. The Populse Tsunami uses the 2024 chip (a bit brighter than the 2020). The Mardis versions were based on the Trends using the 2024 chip. The PEC pot on later units offers a 'smoother' sound. They are not available now, though you may be able to get one from Michael directly...www.michaelmardis.com send him a mail and inquire.

If you are considering a Tripath amp, you will need to hear one in your setup to know if they will work for you...find a supplier that offers a 30 day return and you can try one...The JB3 speakers work well with tripath amps and are available for $350 from ALO in Portland.

FWIW and YMMV...I also use a miniwatt and like it...Good Luck on your hunt...

t

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 18
I really like the little Dayton T-amp. It isn't pretty, and it isn't that sturdy, but it does sound great for the $$. One thing to consider is that it has input capacitors that are smaller than ideal, so the bass rolls off below 60hz. For big speakers that is a bad thing. But, if you are considering little vented speakers that are tuned in the 50's or 60's, it can actually increase your dynamic range by rolling off frequencies below the port tuning where the drivers excursion is unlimited.

If you aren't thrilled with the bass rolloff, and/or you are looking for jacks that won't die quiet so easily, consider something like this: Sure Electronics T-amp They are out of stock right now, but Sure makes a pretty solid circuit board with the TA2024. It's a great base for DIY, should you want fancy parts like the PEC pot (of which I'm a fan). Sure also sells stuff on Ebay. It's a steal for $40, but you'll need to buy a power supply.

The TA2024 amps I've heard sound incredible for the $$. They do not sound as good as my two chassis 40lb tube amp. (I'm curious to hear how close the Sure board and Meanwell SMPS that I'm about to box up comes, though). Until you are ready to get something large and expensive, I say get a cheap one and spend the rest of your $$ on speakers.

Paul

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 18
Thanks for all the input everyone. so I've decided I will get the Energy RC-10 and now am in search of a good T-amp for them. will look around at your suggestions and hopefully find one that will fit for the RC-10s.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 18
@bones13 and tea-head - checked out the audiomagus site...the t-amps are a bit more $ than I was hoping to spend. but thanks for the information on those amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back