New Soundcard to replace Creative Audigy Sound Blaster 2
Apr 16, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #31 of 40
For the price they're selling it, I would just get the E-MU 0404 USB that is similarly priced.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #32 of 40

Quote:
For the price they're selling it, I would just get the E-MU 0404 USB that is similarly priced.

Soundwise, how do the EMU's compare to each other? 

Can't seem to find these in europe too. Amazon has ridiculous shipping costs on this :S USB emus are a terrible option here, the cheapest option here for a emu USB is a 0204 from ebay uk that lists 131 euros, shipped. Its a 50 euro diference from the m-audio. Probably i know its better, but it's way too much over the budget, not like i dont need a good soundcard, but i need money for the band lol. The PCI 0404 has a preamp right? Then, if i can get a PCI 0404, and get this http://www.thomann.de/pt/shure_pa_658.htm would it work fine? or will the volume adapter color the sound like hell? 

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #33 of 40
Which E-MUs?

The 0404 USB will do what you need, if you use the PCIe in its place without additional hardware it will be a mess. So from that view, the USB wins. 

Otherwise, they're probably impossible to pick apart (if we're just talking about their ADC and DAC components); remember that the USB has preamps and amps in it though. It's better suited for plugging directly into mics, instruments, headphones, etc. They should use the same (or very similar) driver package, both support ASIO and can work with your DAW suite, etc - they're both very suitable. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
Which E-MUs?

The 0404 USB will do what you need, if you use the PCIe in its place without additional hardware it will be a mess. So from that view, the USB wins. 

Otherwise, they're probably impossible to pick apart (if we're just talking about their ADC and DAC components); remember that the USB has preamps and amps in it though. It's better suited for plugging directly into mics, instruments, headphones, etc. They should use the same (or very similar) driver package, both support ASIO and can work with your DAW suite, etc - they're both very suitable. 

So the 0404 PCI-E doens'nt have a pre amp for guitar, but the USB model does?

I dont use mics so i only need it for guitar really, i want to get the best on recording guitar, because with more mic gain , the signal just responds a lot better to me playing it, it feels better, picks up those subtle touches. I dont need a knob to adjust the input gain, that i always leave on it on the same place ,since i only use 1 guitar

BTW M-Audio MKII is really usb 1.1, the guy at Thomann confirmed it to me.

Aside from the EMU usb units, that are tough to find and expensive here, what other options do i have that are better than the M-Audio and are on the same budget (80 euros) ?

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #36 of 40
Well, the moment you start to steer away from consumer audio and get closer to pro audio, it starts to have less audible differences, mainly on drastic signature changes.

Like obobskivich said, the 0404 USB is a self-contained unit in the sense that it allows for better I/O flexibility without additional hardware.

About alternatives, there are a few, but above the 100€ mark. Things like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 aren't bad, for instance.

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #38 of 40
There is no GC in portugal haha the shops here are small and expensive, best and cheaper way is to import something online :)

I think i'll probably be buying this :)

http://www.thomann.de/pt/line6_pod_studio_gx.htm

Its got the conections i need (input - output) and a volume knob.

I've seen no one complain about it. I really only need to record guitar as i am a guitarist, don't wanna get in the world of recording, more like in having the best stuff for pratice. Plus, line 6 comes with podfarm which will probably have plugins that respond well to picking, since their guitar amps do so.

I'm pretty sure the output is of decent quality as well, any one has info on this? :)

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #39 of 40
Hum, I don't think I've seen that product or brand before, so I can't say much about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back