New soundcard/DAC/amp for my laptop
Jul 28, 2007 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

montigo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new soundcard for my laptop (and optionally an external DAC/Amp) which can properly drive the 3 following things:

1. My headphones - AKG K501 120ohm, Beyer DT990Pro 250ohm.
90% in domestics 220v AC use. 10% for mobile use.

2. My car stereo - the laptop has to provide analog signal to the car stereo's AUX input. Got a pretty good/revealing SQ system in my car.
100% in car 12v DC use.

3. My studio sound card - Behringer BCA2000, which has analog inputs, RCA digital inputs, and optical digital inputs. The BCA2000 drives my monitor speakers. Maybe I can use the laptop onboard audio digital output for that.
100% in domestic 220v AC use.

I would prefer to have 24bit support, as well as 96/192KHz support.

I decided to limit myself to a $500 budget, how should I spend it?

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 12
Anyone?
rolleyes.gif

What is the best combination of USB/Firewire DAC/soundcard and headphone amp I can fit into a 500$ budget?

In any given time, I will listen through headphones or connect it to a line-in of another device.

24bit/96khz is mostly welcomed.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by montigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. My studio sound card - Behringer BCA2000, which has analog inputs, RCA digital inputs, and optical digital inputs. The BCA2000 drives my monitor speakers. Maybe I can use the laptop onboard audio digital output for that.
100% in domestic 220v AC use.

Yes, you could use your laptop for that, granted it has digital out.

Jul 31, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks Jay!

The voltage is not a major issue. I can buy a 220v to 110v transformator.
The fact that it cannot drive250-300ohm cans is a problem
wink.gif

The headroom DAC+Amp combination sounds like an option which will provide a good sound quality / amping, altough a bit pricey for me.
The crossfeed option is nice to have, too.

Any additional ideas?

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 12
how about the EMU 0404 usb, M-Audio or Edirol USB/Firewire options, or any other USB or FW solution? Seems like any of them will work. You would also have budget left over to find a good amp (using the sound card as a DAC) to drive your headphones.

The real question is, do you want to carry all that around between home/car/studio/travel?

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 12
Yeah, I'm cosindering buying an headphone amp, in addition to a "regular" audio card, such as the M-Audio offerings (Fast Track USB/Pro, Audiophile Firewire/USBTransit, Firewire Solo), Edirol (UA-25, UA1AX) or Echo (Indigo IO, Audiofire 2).

The EMU 0404 USB is a bit expensive around here
rolleyes.gif

Does any of the above have a good DAC like the EMU's?

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 12
Whoa, I found some really raving reviews on the net (Monica DAC).

I never heard a non-oversampling DAC!

Sound quality wise, do you think the EMU 0404 USB or the Monica USB is better?

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for your advices guys.

Just ordered an assembled USB Monica DAC.
I will add some proper casing and wiring when it gets here.

Next stage: finding an apropriate headphone amp!
orphsmile.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 12
Montigo,

I ordered mine not only assembled but also in a case for USD 105 more than just the PCB alone. Figured it'd be worth it, once I started adding up the cost of the RCA connectors, enclosure, time and hassle etc.

Don't forget you need a power supply unit. I got the SMPS 2.5A that DIY Paradise sells for USD 40 to go with it. I'll play around with battery power at some point but for now, plug-and-play.

Mine's burning in as I type but I have to say the sound's beautiful already now thru a IBM X60 laptop on battery => XXHighEnd software player => Belkin USB Signature cable 5 ft => Monica USB 2 DAC => Crystal Cable Standard Interconnect => Cayin HA-1A headphone amp w/NOS tubes => HD-650 w/stock cable (for now). This is my first NOS DAC as well and it takes all but 10 seconds to realise it sounds very "analog", relaxed, organic, non-offensive and non-fatiguing.

I'll try it in my main system once it has burnt-in properly (300-400h) and will (initially) compare it against a Cayin CDT-17A CDP (modded w/NOS tubes and OPA624BP gain and buffer stages) that sounds very nice (especially for the money). Other digital sources in house include a HTPC with a HDSP 9632 soundcard, an iMac with an RME Fireface 800, a Nuforce AVP-16 pre/pro and a Pioneer DVDP 989, but none of these compare favorable to the Cayin really...

I hope you'll be happy with your purchase - I can't see how you couldn't if you match it with a good head amp. The Cayin's got some serious grunt to drive my Senn 650's to ear-splitting levels even with the Monica's relatively low output but make sure your choice can do the same (depending on your cans). Singlepower or Woo Audio maybe?

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi NiToNi.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

In terms of money, I think you are right - ordering the version with the case for an additional $100 is definitely worth it.
But I didn't really like the wooden case. I prefer a plastic/metallic black case.

I recieved my Monica USB couple of days ago, and did some initial wiring.
The Corda Move hasn't arrived yet.
So far - the Monica sound really good, but I prepare to do some serious comparison once my headphone amp arrives.

Oh, and my new DT990 are so wonderful!
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back