New sound cards from Creative Labs with better hardware
Aug 16, 2012 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

germanium

Headphoneus Supremus
Aug 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Specs give S/N ratio of 127&120 for the different models.

I guess those are the specs of the DAC chips used (in usual marketing style), rather than the actual analog outputs of the cards ? "digital-to-analog converters (DACs) that deliver 127dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), sockets for swappable Op-Amps, a high-end 80mW into 600 ohm headphone amplifier" could well mean the combination of the PCM1792 and TPA6120, similarly to the Xonar ST/STX.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 5
I am eyeing this card as it has the potential of replacing my Xonar ST down the road when PCI gets phased out. 

As with all previous Creative models that have come out the past 2-3 years. The specs on paper look phenomenal but when it comes to reality, they have all kinds of issues from horrid emulation, to very weak impedance. That's aside from all the driver issues that plagued the entire family of cards.

Waiting til these puppies are released and maybe we can get some of the Head-Fiers here to dissect this bad boy.

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 5
So these are the cards that are supposed to displace the X-Fi Titanium HD, NOT the Recon3D. I have got to review one of these things.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that the "SBX Pro" features sound EXACTLY like the THX TruStudio Pro feature suite. I guess Creative wanted to stop paying up for THX licensing?

They also mention some sort of "Audio Control Module", which claims to have a built-in dual-microphone array and headphone/mic jacks for headsets, among other things. Reminds me of the Xonar Phoebus, actually. Unfortunately, there are no pictures.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

I guess those are the specs of the DAC chips used (in usual marketing style), rather than the actual analog outputs of the cards ? "digital-to-analog converters (DACs) that deliver 127dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), sockets for swappable Op-Amps, a high-end 80mW into 600 ohm headphone amplifier" could well mean the combination of the PCM1792 and TPA6120, similarly to the Xonar ST/STX.

These specs would be obtainable if they used the PCM1792 or PCM1794 in mono mode or if they used the high end ESS Sabre 8 channel chip in stereo mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back