New sound card really worth it?
Apr 21, 2006 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jesusfr3ak4evr

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 sound card but use my motherboard's sound (MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum 8-channel Realtek AL97 Audio) for my Sennheiser HD 595 headphones (no amp) due to compatibility problems with running teamspeak in the background and playing games like CS: Source.

My main question is whether it is more beneficial in the short term to purchase a new sound card or a PA2V2 amp. I can get a PA2V2 amp for $45 or $50 shipped used off these forums, while I can get a X-Fi card new for $96 or an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum for $60s or so. Now, don't think that the sound isn't already really good, it is... but I want to see how much better I can make it
eggosmile.gif
Currently my biggest issue is I hear an electrical noise when I move my mouse and there is no sound going. So, which is better in the short term, a new sound card or PA2V2 amp?

Apr 21, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 24
Might I add my motherboard has no problem driving the HD 595s. I have my volume at 1/10th and it's plenty loud. At full volume I can set my headphones on the desk and listen to them as if they were speakers :p

I might just purchase neither. But in terms of climbing the headphone ladder... what's next? :p HD 650s?

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 24
I, too, have an MSI motherboard (865PE based) and used onboard for 2 years. I bought an X-Fi Platinium as soon as it was available and haven't looked back since. I game a fair amount in BF2, CoD, etc. and the difference is immeasurable, but off the top of my head the immersion is far better and the level-loading music no longer gets distorted (not that that's important, but it does help). Also, my FPS has really increased such that I was able to go up one resolution.
biggrin.gif

I would highly recommend an X-Fi to improve your gaming experience, unless you have a powerful enough processor and want to go to the DD Live route. Or you could do both.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 24
Well I guess I'll just list my pc's specs:

- MSI Neo 2 Platinum
- A64 Venice 3000+ s939 @ 2.565GHz XP-90, 80mm LED fan
- 2x512MB Corsair PC-3200 213MHz CAS 2.5-3-3-7 1T
- XFX GeForce 6800 GT at 415/1140
- 1x40GB WD HD, 1x250GB Hitachi Deskstar
- Enermax 550W EG651P-VE
- 21" Cornerstone P1700 CRT
- Logitech G7 on GGL mousepad

I don't think upgrading my sound card would make that great a difference in FPS. Maybe 2 or 3 FPS higher but not much.

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 24
Save your eyes, get 19" LCD

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesusfr3ak4evr
Might I add my motherboard has no problem driving the HD 595s. I have my volume at 1/10th and it's plenty loud. At full volume I can set my headphones on the desk and listen to them as if they were speakers :p

I might just purchase neither. But in terms of climbing the headphone ladder... what's next? :p HD 650s?

You may think that, but once you get an amp, things may be different. I'm not saying that your 595s necessarily need an amp...just that your logic doesn't sit well with me. Just because it can drive things to loud enough volumes doesn't mean an amp would not be a worthy upgrade. My mp3 player can drive my DT880s to loud volumes, same with my soundcard / computer system, but that doesn't mean that an amp didn't benefit my sound.

That said, I wouldn't recommend a cheap amp. After all, differences in audio are subtle, and you want to get the most for your money, not be upgrading every week.

Apr 24, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #12 of 24
CRT still has a superior image, but LCD has come a long way, and definitely has a good image, without having annoying refresh rates (on CRTs, I like my refresh to be minimum 75 Hz, usually 85 Hz).

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #13 of 24
If you want better sound quaility, anything from a Chaintech Av-710 will do: Revolutiion 5.1, Prodigy 7.1 LT, Audiophile 2496, Emu 0404, Emu1212m. The thing is how important is gaming to you (The X-fi and Audigy are chosen basically for gaming).

Regarding the CRT vs LCD.
I have a 21" (19,8 viewable) Compaq P110 monitor (trinitron tube) and I am using it at 1024x768 at 130hz. That's right, 130hz. I also have the fonts pretty damn large. I don't use it close like in a desktop setup, I am usually 1meter away from the monitor or more. My eyes never get tired, never.
The quality of the image is better than Plasma and any LCD I have tried so far (I haven't seen the latest quality LCD monitors, but Plasma have been a disappointment)
I say, CRT or Projector, that's the way to go!!! (I feel so bad there is no CRT wide screen here in Argentina)

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 24
LCD's have been a pretty big disappointment for me. Yes, they're flat and geometries are very good. But that's it. Color reproduction, black levels, everything else is "not-so-good".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back