New sound card or a headphone amp?
Dec 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spork

New Head-Fier
I've decided to finally upgrade my home headphone setup to something better. I currently use Sennheiser HD555s with a Creative X-Fi Platinum. I've more or less settled on the Beyerdynamic DT880s.

After searching on these forums I've discovered that the X-Fi Platinum is a pretty rubbish card for listening to music. My question is, if I were to get a better card like the Asus Xonar ST would I also need a head phone amp to properly drive the 880s? Would X-Fi > Little Dot MkIII > DT 880 be better than Xonar ST > DT 880? If I have to buy a new source and get an amp to warrant purchasing new head phones I'm going to have to wait a little while longer. I can afford the headphones plus another 200+ for an amp or sound card right now, but not all three.

Thanks for any input.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 8
Some say they're comparable. I say that's rubbish. A good external DAC beats the pants off a hot rodded X-Fi, from my experience. I would get a DAC with an integrated amp, like the E-MU 0404 (Great DAC, okay amp) Zero DAC (decent DAC, decent amp) or stretch your budget (rather a lot, actually) and get the Audio-GD Compass. I'm of a source-first mentality, so I would say get the 0404 over the Zero DAC (better customer service and build quality too.)

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the input! A DAC/amp looks like the perfect solution. I think I'm going to go with the E-MU 0404 and get a good tube amp a few months down the road. The only thing I need to know is if the 0404 has enough power to properly drive the 600 ohm version of the 880s. It sounds like the 600 ohm version is the way to go if you have a good amp, which I will get in the future. I could settle with the 250 ohm for now if the 600 ohm version is going to sound bad with the 0404.

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some say they're comparable. I say that's rubbish. A good external DAC beats the pants off a hot rodded X-Fi, from my experience. I would get a DAC with an integrated amp, like the E-MU 0404 (Great DAC, okay amp) Zero DAC (decent DAC, decent amp) or stretch your budget (rather a lot, actually) and get the Audio-GD Compass. I'm of a source-first mentality, so I would say get the 0404 over the Zero DAC (better customer service and build quality too.)

+1 DAC/AMP all the way
darthsmile.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 8
I just bought the E-MU 0404 and it is awesome! stick with that choice

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input! A DAC/amp looks like the perfect solution. I think I'm going to go with the E-MU 0404 and get a good tube amp a few months down the road. The only thing I need to know is if the 0404 has enough power to properly drive the 600 ohm version of the 880s. It sounds like the 600 ohm version is the way to go if you have a good amp, which I will get in the future. I could settle with the 250 ohm for now if the 600 ohm version is going to sound bad with the 0404.

Dac/Amp is the only way to go,it future proofs you with drivers to worry about.
I just had to retire my RME Digi to another room as I switched to Win 7 64 bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back