New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jan 2, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #3,856 of 4,139
I find completely opposite. My WF1000XM5 and Fiio BTR7 with IEM's over LDAC at 990 sounds same as from my S23+ LDAC 990 if using Sony in DIRECT as I do, just that way more stable connection with my S23+

If you use any of the Walkman audio tweaks (Walkman app only) then I believe they are effective over BT too. So maybe the sound you prefer with Sony Sound adjustments, or do you use in DIRECT mode?
I use the Sony Walkman app in direct mode, i.e., without any tweaks. BT connections with my A306 always stable.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #3,857 of 4,139
One of the major drawbacks of this player is the lack of the AptX Adaptive codec.
Even after updating the system to the latest version.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #3,858 of 4,139
Hi! A new member of the message board here... and also a big Sony Walkman fan.
I bought my A306 (EU version, firmware v.1.02.00) in November and I'm really pleased with its sound. Battery life seems to be fine too, although not quite "what the advertisement said..." :)
A week or so ago I read that there's a firmware update which will also update the player with Android 13. The problem, however, is that even though I followed all of the prerequisites suggested by Sony on their site (enough free memory, battery charge over 60%, device in charging state, good wi-fi connection, etc.), after starting the update process there seems to be absolutely no progress at all. It just reads "Executing update ...0%" ...and it stayed at 0% for more than an hour (after which I just cancelled it).
Did any of you have such problem when trying to update? Could there be something I'm missing, like some permission setting that needs to be done beforehand? Any help / advice is highly appreciated!

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #3,859 of 4,139
I bought my A306 (EU version, firmware v.1.02.00) in November and I'm really pleased with its sound. Battery life seems to be fine too, although not quite "what the advertisement said..." :)
A week or so ago I read that there's a firmware update which will also update the player with Android 13. The problem, however, is that even though I followed all of the prerequisites suggested by Sony on their site (enough free memory, battery charge over 60%, device in charging state, good wi-fi connection, etc.), after starting the update process there seems to be absolutely no progress at all. It just reads "Executing update ...0%" ...and it stayed at 0% for more than an hour (after which I just cancelled it).
Did any of you have such problem when trying to update? Could there be something I'm missing, like some permission setting that needs to be done beforehand? Any help / advice is highly appreciated!
No, went smooth & quick for me for my Japanese import A307.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #3,860 of 4,139
I seem to remember somebody had that problem on a previous FW. It was not an android upgrade, though. I think he did a factory reset and was able to update the FW.
Do be aware that a factory reset will zero the Audio Played count in Settings.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #3,861 of 4,139
I got my Japanese A306 yesterday - thanks all for your input. Fortunately the accommodation we have has wifi so I could quickly and easily do the 1500mb Android 13 update. I have used my phone in the past for music but it was only as a quick listen via Bluetooth devices.
Coming from a long history of straightforward Sony OS Walkmans the set up process took a bit more time, but that link to the WM1XM2 thread guide helped a lot in minimalising the processes.
I had always felt it was best to keep it simple and avoid Android but I thought I'd step out of myself and be a bit different. Already I feel can benefit from the extra features/availabilities that Android provides.
I forgot to bring my secondary 1TB SD card from the Shanling M0 Pro it will replace, so only have the 4 tracks that it came with. I was going to see if I could milk Spotify for something to listen to but found the YT music app to get me started. I've never used it before, and found a nice feature is the scrolling lyric tab.
Sure the leather case on my 1Z adds some bulk, but it's nice to now have a tiny, lightweight dap for on the go.

1000004366.jpg

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #3,862 of 4,139
So nearly a year after my A300 purchase, I have to say it is probably one of my favorite devices ever.
It pairs nicely with the Final A3000/4000 and the IER-M7.
Yea I have to agree, after a year of owning it as well... I just love this little Walkman. Sound is wonderful, perfect size, lightweight, easy-to-find tactile side buttons and all day battery life. No complaints at all after a year.

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #3,863 of 4,139
Yea I have to agree, after a year of owning it as well... I just love this little Walkman. Sound is wonderful, perfect size, lightweight, easy-to-find tactile side buttons and all day battery life. No complaints at all after a year.
Only downside is OS is still a bit sluggish for some 3rd party apps (not as bad as WM1ZM2).

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #3,864 of 4,139
Any tips on where to buy the Japanese model and ship to the UK? I’ve seen a seller mentioned on Amazon.jp but none of the sellers of new devices will ship to the UK unfortunately.

I suppose there’s eBay but then there’s the risk of customs etc.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #3,865 of 4,139
There is a seller on EBay called Neetex who is selling Japanese versions, they are based in UK and delivery is next week so must be in this country.
I’m considering buying myself just haven’t pulled the trigger yet!

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #3,866 of 4,139
Almost 11 months for me and a fabulous device (mine was from Japan and needed the software upgrade to be perfect.)
It's been backwards and forwards over the Atlantic and around Europe and is just wonderful to lose myself or get away from the noise around me.
Sound, ease of use - it's been absolutely music to my ears! (Every pun intended) :)

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #3,867 of 4,139
Any tips on where to buy the Japanese model and ship to the UK? I’ve seen a seller mentioned on Amazon.jp but none of the sellers of new devices will ship to the UK unfortunately.

I suppose there’s eBay but then there’s the risk of customs etc.
I'd ask anyone on here who are going to Japan or around that area. I did back at the beginning of the year and a fellow forum chap was good enough to get me one. It's definitely worth a shout. I payed via PayPal so that we both were covered. Good luck

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #3,868 of 4,139
There is a seller on EBay called Neetex who is selling Japanese versions, they are based in UK and delivery is next week so must be in this country.
I’m considering buying myself just haven’t pulled the trigger yet!

I didn’t realise that they were based in the UK. I’ve seen them mentioned here a few times too. Tempting!

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #3,869 of 4,139
That's okay. Thanks for trying to help. I think the issue is that suggestion was a holdover from for the older unix based NW-55 which did need the slash inverted. The issue here I think is something else. I think it's a path issue. But, not sure. Can't seem to get a playlist in that works. Also, Sony doesn't provide any way for us to export the favorites and playlists we create on the device. Hoping they rectify that via firmware as it makes no sense to curate your library when one SD card failure (which just happened to me) wipes out your favorite track references.
yes exporting playlists would be nice or being able to edit imported playlists on the device itself. both of which are impossible but easy to rectify

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #3,870 of 4,139
ive been using the sony with a miter case which is ok not bad (much better than their ibasso dx170 version) but i still find it difficult to differentiate the buttons in my pocket using the miter.

so with that in mind ive ordered one of those fatbear cases from AliExpress. ill give my opinions and vs the miter case when it arrives mid January

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005382323929.html

cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back